What are the correct plugs & screws for kitchen wall unit brackets?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by DSW, May 9, 2016.

1. DSW

DSW New Member

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Last time I fitted some wall units used Turbo coach screws M8 x 50mm and plugs to suit.

Easy to drive, using socket set on driver and have the flanged washer.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

1 3/4" 8's, 4.5 x 45mm screws, red plugs, 6mm masonry drill/

5. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I agree with Chippie,but I prefer the nylon ones. 6mm grey jobbies. They are available elsewhere a bit cheaper. ;)

6. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Depends on the type of brick your going into, plus the thickness of any plaster and render that's on top of the bricks.

7. malkie129

Yeah,but even with plaster,etc., a 50mm screw should get a decent hold in the brickwork. :eek:

8. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

For my wall cupboards (just finished fitting them) I just used "concrete bolts" for the first time and found them very good. (drill one hole in the masonry and screw it in). Surely the death knell for plugs and screws?

diymostthings

9. malkie129

I think Thunderbolts,or whatever the latest name is,are great,so long as you don't mind,or have room for hex head bolts in your cabinets. Outside or industrial jobs,I would use them every time. :):)

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

50mm + could do it. I'm putting in a kitchen at the mo on dot and dab walls and using 80mm 5's. Overkill...possibly, but dot and dab PB could be 30mm thick and I'm hammering the plugs past this Into the block work...so there! :)

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I hate dot and dab, cheap and easy for the builders, PITA for everyone else.

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I don't mind as long as it's done well Chippie. PITA to the rookie picture hanger etc, but as long as the correct approach/fixing is used then all ok. Just plastered some kitchen walls on way home from work on ex council house. Now those are shocking...prob one dab per board!! :D

13. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

A slight diversion ...

When I had my extension built and the kitchen enlarged, one wall was to be a stud wall. I insisted that the builder put decent 18mm ply closely screwed on the wall before the plaster board went over. Then when it comes to hanging a cooker hood, racks, or cupboards, no worry about screws and plugs, a decent fix into the ply is great.

On the other walls I have used 5 x 60mm with 8 x 50mm Fischer plugs just under the surface - two per bracket and they are rock solid.

Jitender likes this.
  14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Good call with the ply.i like to disregard dot and dab, so allowing say 30mm for that, 50mm into the brick (hence 80mm) works for me. I can't quantify it from a calculation point of view...but it's only a case of drilling a slightly deeper hole and a fixing which costs pence in the grand scheme of things.

15. DSW

DSW New Member

My walls are brick and have been plastered. Is it wood screws or masonry screws to use?

16. diymostthings

You can get countersunk head concrete screws - which I used on my wall cupboards. Mine were torx headed - easy to tighten.

diymostthings

17. diymostthings

Until my last project I have always used plugs and screws - but now I have "discovered" counter sunk headed masonry screws I'll always use these from now on.

diymostthings

18. malkie129

Well,everyone has given you their preferences,but at the end of the day,it must be your decision. If you go down the screws & plugs route,only use simple wood screws,no "turbos",as these tend to cut the plugs,rather than expand them. ;)

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

All the ideas given will work.
    I do this for a living so I use the solution that quickest and easiest and cheapest over a wide range of situations.
    I must admit I've never seen countersunk thunderbolts and have never considered using any thunderbolts for hanging cabinets but only because it is masssively OTT, If you're fitting 1 kitchen the extra cost is minimal.

CGN likes this.
  20. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Agreed - plain screws only.

"Turbo" is the name given to the Screwfix ones, Reisser call their version "Cutter" which again cut into or tear the plugs - their standard R2s are fine just the "Cutters", other brands also have fancy names so check what you are using.

I also try to get fully threaded rather than part although they seem to be harder to source at present.

Jitender likes this.