Rewiring without back boxes

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by flimflamflum, Jul 2, 2016.

1. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

I have just had my flat rewired and have a few issues. They haven't used back boxes for sockets or switches which I thought would be used. Is this OK? I don't have a clue about electrics so used a company but it has turned out to be a bit of a nightmare.

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

How did they fix the faceplates without back boxes? Are they hanging off the wall?

3. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

Yes they are hanging off the wall. I wrongly assumed that the price inclued plastering up any mess etc as all other quotes did but they have left large holes in the wall and the plates are just hanging off. We apparently have to plaster ourselves or get someone else to do it.

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I would assume they should have put the back boxes in as a minimum, making good may not be part of their remit though. Who were they registered with?

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Photos? Sounds like back boxes are probably in, but making good required. Often omitted as part of the quote, but should be made clear on quote.

6. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

Not sure. They have ecmk and tsi approved code at bottom of the quote. Don't know if these are electric governing bodies though

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Should be like Niceic of Napit, yea pics are really needed tbh.

8. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

ECMK is an energy assesors accreditation scheme,TSI are an iso 9001 approved quality management company,what that has to do with electrical work I fail to see,bit worrying I think.

9. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is only photo I have right now as I'm at work. This was a plate with no socket which they have removed and just left but this is tidy compared to the rest.

10. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

They apparently do everything from boilers and heating to electrical work and insulation

11. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Do post photos...

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As above, making good after such works can be a grey area (and to what standard) but with a detailed, written quote, there should not be any unforeseen surprises along the way

Did you receive a written quote or just a verbal muttering

If written, then guess it was rather basic in detail

As they have left you to get in your own plasterer, maybe they thought they would leave the face plates loose as they would be pulled forward to plaster. Have a peak behind several and check that there really is no back box fitted. What are the walls built from - stud, block, brick, mix with dot dab p board ?

The boxes may have been sunk deep for some reason so have a good peak.
    Surely they couldn't have carried out a rewire and not fitted boxes - that's unbelievable

Also very dangerous to leave the face plates hanging off as presume they are live ? Even more so if young kids or elderly in the house, an accident waiting to happen

Did the rewire include a new consumer unit ?
    Any test certificates and paperwork to back up the work that has been carried out ?

A spark will confirm what should have been left with the home owner

One last thing .... Was it a " cash" job :eek:

13. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

14. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

15. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

The quote was in an email but was very vague as to what was included. It says a full rewire but they haven't done the full kitchen as electrician says it has been done recently. Just lights in kitchen been done.
    I haven't had any certificates or anything as they said they will post them out.
    I paid deposit with bank card but haven't yet paid the balance. I wanted to ask some advice before I pay the rest of balance.
    They have offered £50 off as a goodwill gesture for not doing kitchen or plastering.

I used a company as I wrongly assumed that they would have better service.

16. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

I will post photos when I get home from work tonight or tomorrow morning.

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Don't accept

18. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Kitchen is main part of rewire 50pound is a joke should be a lot more

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Rewiring without back boxes

20. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

20160702_232441.jpg 20160702_232420.jpg