Rewiring without back boxes

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by flimflamflum, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

No way. You cannot be serious! No way. I have never seen this.

These guys are not qualified.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

leesparkykent likes this.
  2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Has to be a windup, I have seem similar but it was done by the poles who did a runner with the dosh. Why not post those pictures first, they are by far the worst, its like a teaser-is there worse to come.

3. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Ironically capping or conduit is the least of the problems, its not needed for a compliant installation. Never mind trading standards I think I would be calling the police.

4. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Hells bells I've seen some **** work but that lot needs ripping out for certain.

5. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

were they wearing balaclavas when doing the " re-wire" if you can call it that?

TP&N likes this.
  6. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

There's only one answer to that abortion ..........pull the cut out and and start again

7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

unbelievable. If it had been DIY, it would have been the winning candidate in the "DIYers strike again" thread. The fact that it is a supposedly pro job leaves me speechless. Diabolical. Don't pay them another penny. hope you haven't paid too much so far because it's probably a lost cause to pursue.

8. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

That's all the pictures. Can't wait to see what the electrician says about it. Thing I'm most upset about is the coving. Totally ruined it.

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Legally you probably have a case to go after them for compensation to remedy because they haven't demonstrated "reasonable skill and care". Practically, unfortunately it probably isn't worth the hassle.

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hmmmmm I'm not sure about all this now tbqh..I think maybe the whole things a wind up. There is no way that people belonging to an accredited trade body such as Niceic or Napit etc would carry out that kind of work - they would effectively risk being struck off if found out. Hmmmmmm

11. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

I wish it was a wind up. Been a few tears since Friday. Going to speak to company today after I have seen the other electrician. I'm not sure if the company will realise how bad the guy has left it.

12. Neveryoumind

Neveryoumind Active Member

A good plasterer can usually repair it, or replace sections with similar stuff, it's no big deal for a food plasterer. The company you get in to do the remedial work should know a plasterer, they will likely have someone who makes good all their work

13. Jeepers, FFF.

Have you checked to see if these guys are genuinely certified with a recognised leccy organisation?

In that third photo, the cables are running horizontally at random heights. Surely this is against regs? (I'm guessing - I'm not sure).

I mean, if you wanted to hang a picture on that wall to the right of the doorway, there would be nothing to suggest there's a cable running there :eek:

FFF, how much have you paid them already? If what I'm saying about the cable runs is correct, I think you would be entitled to simply remove them from the job - end of.

But, how much have you spent, and how much still to pay?

When's the other sparky coming out? (I'd love to be a fly on the wall...)

14. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

Paid £100 deposit so far and £1450 still to pay. Other electrician is coming out this morning. They are not registered with niceic for electrics. They are registered for something else. MCS installation I think. But they used their logo on the rewire quote.

15. Well, the first bit of good news - only a £100 deposit. That'll pay for the cables and sockets :)

Ok, two things I'd suggest: (1) FIND OUT FOR CERTAIN what, if any, leccy organisation the company belongs to. Call up each one that's logo'd on their correspondence, and give them the company name and reg number.

You NEED to know if they are registered anywhere. If they aren't, I understand they are illegal and can be got rid off right away (as well as reported to TS).

(2) Explain to the sparky coming out this morning what the situation is, and that the chances are you'll actually be needing him to redo the job - so you need a report of what's been done, all that's wrong with it, and a quote for putting it right.

This new sparky should also be able to help you figure out if the first company is registered - I'd have thought he should be able to tell you what you need to do to confirm this.

If it's all turning out as you fear - the first co ain't registered, the work does not comply - and if the new sparky seems willing to take on the job, ask him if there's anything that's salvageable by him that he's happy to re-use - ie cables and fittings - and how much they are worth.

What you should be looking to do is to get the first company out off your hair asap, but to pay them 'fairly' - ie for all the bits you can use (absolutely nothing for labour costs, of course...)

If, say, one to two £undred over the deposit amount will cover it, and if the new sparky is happy to use this stuff and not charge you for it, then you will have been as 'fair' as you can be - which is more than the company has been. So you should be able to say, with complete justification, 'you are more than covered - now leave'.

KIAB likes this.
  16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

That's good. You're in a strong place - £100 is a hit, but not so bad and can be chalked up to experience. You could give the first company an ultimatum - either replace and repair to spec, and make them clearly understand that you not only want full certification but will be getting a third party (possibly council building control) to double check all is good, or keep the £100 and forget the rest and walk away. (It will depend on what your thoughts are on the company - if it is one bad apple, and the proprietor/owner is sorry and wants to make amends give them a chance, if they are all rogues, then fire them off now, and if they get rough just say "see you in court then" - they wont.) Photos and a report from a proper sparks would see them dead in the water.

Edit - I see DA is taking a similar line - yes, agree with DA - good plan.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  17. Fair do's - if the first company is properly registered and if the boss is genuinely contrite and recognises the issues in full, and you are convinced he is sincere in making it all good, then - as Rusty says - it would only be fair to give him the opportunity.

It still leaves the issue of the kitchen wiring - if this really doesn't need doing, then he needs to knock off - I dunno - a good couple of £undred?

And the 'making good' - if the other leccy companies were going to include this in their quote but this one is adamant they were not, then you will still be out of pocket by a large amount. If you were to pay a decorator to fill in all these channels and make it good, it would cost you many hundreds if not comfortably over a £k!

So I'm kinds hoping for you that these guys are genuine cowboys and you can simply get shot of them...

(Try and get a quote from the new company for wiring and making good...)

Mr Rusty likes this.
  18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That stuff looks like old stuff which has been formed in situ (fibrous plaster), going to be hard work to make good.

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

[QUOTE="flimflamflum, post: 1433490, member: 160958" The property is an old sandstone property. 1 bed flat.[/QUOTE]

Is this downstairs or first floor, is there access above the ceiling?

Phil the Paver likes this.
  20. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

Is this downstairs or first floor, is there access above the ceiling?[/QUOTE]
    It's a ground floor flat. No access from above.