composite door catching frame - help adjusting

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by olly330, Jul 11, 2016.

1. olly330

olly330 New Member

Hello all,

I have had a second hand composite door fitted along with a new side panel. Had to go second hand for now as run out of cash on a renovation project.

The door is catching the frame on the handle side, and also the bottom left corner if looking out toward the road. Its needs a good pull to open it and needs slamming to close it into the frame.

The guys who fitted it are not experts in doors so between us we are not able to understand the hinges and get them adjusted. There are a lot of bolts on the hinges and moving them seems to do nothing.

Please see the images:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should I get the same hinges to replace it, and can anyone identify them?

Or should I get flag hinges and get those fitted as I think those provide better adjustment if needed:
    [​IMG]

A locksmith i rang said to remove the current hinges and fit these, but not sure if thats a good idea as they dont look like they provide any adjustment:
    YALE SLAB COMPOSITE DOOR HINGE MK6
    [​IMG]

We could possibly trim the bottom of the door where it is catching the gold frame but unsure if this is a good idea?

Need to find a way of making is usable for around 2-3 years as by that time I will have more cash and will get a new one.

Thanks for any advice

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Doesn't look like the door is fitted in square within the opening, as the gap gets bigger at the top? Also the frame at the lock side is bowing inwards.

Only ever fitted 2 doors and were difficult to fit (both doors didn't have adjustment0.

Because you have the side window combi any fixings to this part are likely to just pull the window frame out, rather than wanting to pull the door frame out. But there is a mid rail in the window which can help.

3. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

Agree with Jitender, door gaps look uneven.
    Fitted loads of comp. doors, we fixed the frame in and made adjustments on the frame rather than the hinges. depends on surround, you can normally busk it with a bead of mastic to cover over the wider parts, and shims. If the surround isn't square cut.
    Loads of composite hinges on tinternet and ways to adjust.

4. olly330

olly330 New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Its a second hand door and the door was already fitted to the frame when installed.
    I agree the gaps between the door and frame do not look even which is what is causing the friction and catching of it on the frame, but I was thinking this was because the door has dropped/moved over time with it being a used door.

So is the usual procedure to remove the door slab from the frame, fit the frame, and then fit the door back to the frame?

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Most fitters i have watched fit the frame while the door is still hung.

may need to put washers on the fixings as look like they have gone into deep in the frame section.

Could be tricky, all depends on what clearances there are available and doesn't seem much on the door side.

A fixing above and below the mid rail (to brickwork) would help transfer the pulling force so the bow is reduce.

Other fixings won't help too much as the uPVC frame will just distort.

olly330 likes this.
  6. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

No , its supplied new as one, the hole for the door should be as close to the size of the door & frame, hold the unit into place (square) open door, fix the frame to the surround ( don't over tighten , it pulls the door off square) close door , any parts rubbing can be adjusted by tightening or slightly loosening the fixings, or through the hinges . Yours is 2nd hand so it be set to last gap size. Bit of adjusting will get it sorted. (if your measurements are right ;))

Good luck:)

olly330 likes this.
  7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

01FRwVq.jpg

Adjusting the bolt in the circle to close the gap between the arrows - top hinge.
    Also pack out between frame and wall behind bottom hinge.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. olly330

olly330 New Member

Thanks for the help.

If the wall/frame below bottom hinge needs packing out is it best to do that before the brick wall is plastered as once it's plastered I won't be able to get at that area other than from the outside of the door. Had a plasterer booked in tomorrow!

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yes. You may be able to back off the fixing screw, pry the door frame out, pack it + 2 or 3mm, and wind the screw back in tight. Put the packer on top of the screw and maybe squidge a bit of silicone or filler in there to stop it ever dropping.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Kate Mobile

Kate Mobile New Member

Hi we have a composite door but it seems to catch at the top corner. It’s seems to be a bad fit to be honest but was in before we moved in. We’ve tried to tighten/loosen the top hinge but seems to drop again after a day or too. Can anyone advise on option please

Attached Files: