TITAN 1010W SDS plus drill - wonky chuck

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by mozart, Jul 11, 2016.

1. mozart

mozart Member

Bought one of these last week but took it back as the chuck didn't seem straight. Picked up another one and it seems the same. Have tried two different bits and basically the tip seems to move round in a small circle rather then keep on point (if that makes sense).

Have also tested it in both drill and hammer mode...

Is this normal? The drill gets through stuff really well, it's just that you end up with a hole bigger than the bit size......

Is this perhaps the way SDS drills work? Never had one before....

Or is it just that the drill is cheap?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No it is not right.
    And though being a cheap drill, it should still drill properly.

Take it back, it should drill a prefect circular hole, NOT a elliptical shape hole.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  3. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

Sounds like just the job for elongating a hole that's too tight o_O.

Does the chuck run true when operated?

4. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

Hi @mozart

Sorry to read you are having problems with your purchase.

Please call our Customer Service Team on 03330 112 112 with your order details so we can advise and resolve this for you.

Regards

Peter

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Are you using brand new bits or used ones?

If the grooves in the bit are worn, it will do this, as they are not gripped tight like a keyed chuck.

But generally, even if floppy, they won't 'circle' while in the masonry.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Sounds like a slightly bent drill bit to me.

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Check the drill/chuck first.

Clamp it down, and set speed to the lowest. Being very careful, Turn on, and then hold a pencil close to the chuck, move it closer very slowly until it is just touching. Stop the drill and look for the pencil marks, are they on one side or all round? All round says it is running true.

Then fit a large, say 15mm bit and repeat, with the pencil near shank end - it is still true? If it is off, mark the point of contact with a dot of paint or tape. Remove bit and rotate through 180 degrees then repeat. If teh pencil marks are in te same place - in line with mark, then the bit is off, if it is on the opposite side, the SDS grip in the chuck is off.

KIAB and Davmac like this.
  8. mozart

mozart Member

Thanks for all your replies. I tested with 3 drill bits that cam with the set (all new), a new erbauer bit, two chisels and the chuck adapter. Holding a pencil near to the shank of each you can see the gap widen and narrow on each revolution. So I'm thinking then that it's the chuck rather than the bits.

My next question is; seeing as how I've had two of these with the same problem, is it worth trying a third? Or maybe better to try another brand? Maybe this one?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-2kg-sds-plus-drill-gbh2000-240v/87453

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looks like there are a few bad reviews regarding wonky chuck.

KIAB and mozart like this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

11. mozart

mozart Member

Thanks for pointing those out. Wish I'd read them properly before purchasing.!

12. mozart

mozart Member

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very little experience of Hitachi tools, as I'm a Bosch/Makita user with cordless drill/sds drills but I do have a Hitachi sabre saw & a 9" grinder both of which have had a hard life, been superb & never failed me.

Don't be fooled by the input wattage, just because one drill is 1000w & another 700w doesn't always translate to actual more drilling power.

14. mozart

mozart Member

Thanks - you hit the nail on the head. That was my worry. The titan seems quite powerful but no good if it can't drill straight! Looks like the hitachi has a stupidly short cord as well!

KIAB likes this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Me being a idiot:oops:

Register online for extended warrenty.:)

mozart likes this.
  16. mozart

mozart Member

Thanks. :)

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Bosch do a 3 year warranty on professional tools, I registered my laser level for 3 year warranty.

mozart likes this.
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't add up...:rolleyes:

1 year normal, the extra 2 years is through online registration.

Me, having a senior moment...:rolleyes::oops::oops:

19. mozart

mozart Member

I'm sure I'm too young to have those, but they happen anyway! :p

20. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I have had one of those from te day they were released - about 8 years back. It is a great piece of equipment (well mine is), I have used it with 110mm cores going 150 to 200mm down into concrete and through walls, or with a chiusel to get through 50mm of concrete to the pipes below. Then at the other end when needing to drill 5mm holes for small plugs - it is fine too.