Laminate Sheets

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by gryphon, Jul 16, 2016.

1. gryphon

gryphon Member

Hi, not sure if this is best place for this.

I have laminate sheeting i want fix directly onto a plastered wall. What would you suggest fixing with. A glue/adhesive or something like no nails.

2. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

If it is laminate on a backing of plywood then I would fix with screws, or possibly Pink grip foam (squirt on the back, press panel in place and hold for 1 minute). If it is just thin laminate then fix to ply first with contact adhesive.

3. gryphon

gryphon Member

It's a thin 0.8mm sheet. Because of the space it's going into there are curves to the wall, one of the reason i've went with the laminate, so i don't think mounting on ply is an option.

I have 3 sheets 10ft x 4ft, what quantity of the foam do you think for this.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I would have thougt that you would need to fix bendiply to the walls first and then use contact adhesive, tricky job though.
    Are the curves only in one axis?
    What are you trying to achieve?

5. gryphon

gryphon Member

It's a weirdly shaped vestabule to back of house used as a utility, door from kitchen then through to back door. There are slight curves where the arrows are. The other wall have slight angles which i thin the laminate will curve tound

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      43.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      33.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      36.9 KB
      Views:
  6. Marshall Mosby

Marshall Mosby New Member

Adhesive for laminate will do good job.

7. gryphon

gryphon Member

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Have you used contact adhesive on large sheets before because this has disaster written all over it?

Astramax likes this.
  9. gryphon

gryphon Member

I have not chippie244, the first 2 sheets to go up should be straight forward the 3rd sheet is the only awkward one, hopefully i'll have sussed things out. My main worry is cutting it.

Now thinking along the lines of the pink grip or http://www.screwfix.com/p/insta-stik-expanding-foam-grab-adhesive-750ml/72793

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It's called contact glue for a reason...I have to agree with chippie. Once the two surfaces come in contact with each other ......that's it!:oops::oops::oops: no mercy is spared!

11. gryphon

gryphon Member

Ok, so any suggestions to go straight onto wall.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Don't use that, in fact re-think this entire project. I laminate quite often and I would have to be paid a lot before I would try this.

13. gryphon

gryphon Member

Laninate,s on site, so it's going on the wall one way or the other.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It will be the other :):)

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What clearance do you have top, bottom and sides and how square are your walls, are you wanting to achieve a tight fit like wallpaper.

16. gryphon

gryphon Member

It's
    going to be ceiling to floor, i can afford a gap at the bottom if i have to. Yes i will be trying to achieve a tight fit, at the moment there's only one noticeable join and that will eventually have a tall freezer in front of it.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Please post photos.

metrokitchens likes this.
  18. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I suspect the OP will be unable to due to being dead from inhaling the fumes from the huge tin of contact adhesive left open in the room all day in the sunshine! :p:p:p

19. gryphon

gryphon Member

Cheers for the helpful tip

20. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Seriously. That very thing happened a few years back. Killed one guy and nearly his mate. Once the fumes get you you quickly lose your ability to make the correct decisions. I used to have to laminate the exposed faces of kitchen units back in the day. A rotten job, especially the side of a tower unit. Oh, the joys of kitchen fitting for Moben and Kitchens Direct back in the early 90s.