Laminate Sheets

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by gryphon, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

There's always dot and dab new 9.5mm plasterboard! Get a nice straight flat surface to stick the laminate to. Should be a doddle then!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Read post 3 Mr HA, can't loose the space from the room!

Should be a doddle then! You must b afin a larf guv innit!

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

What, sticking laminate to flat paper ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

10' x 4' laminate sheets stuck to plasterboard is the easy part, fitting them to the walls squarely top to bottom ain't gona happen, show me a totally square room without any deviations in the ceiling and floor levels!

5. gryphon

gryphon Member

Ok, this might get some titters and laughs but can you dab and dash ply.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

With Gripfill, other makes and brands are available. Probably have to seal the walls first though 5:1 PVA

7. gryphon

gryphon Member

Is that 5 parts PVA 1 part water

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Can't comment on any other aspect but generally, to seal plaster PVA is used at 1 part to 5 parts water

gryphon likes this.
  9. Gryphon, what I wouldn't try and do is to adhere anything (other than paint...) to a bare plaster wall.

By its very nature it'll be dusty and not very willing to have stuff stuck to it. It'll also likely be absorbent, so will suck the life out of most applied adhesives.

Recipe for whatsits.

At the very least either give the plaster a couple of coats of emulsion, the first one slightly diluted 10-20% with water, or else use a primer/sealer like Everbuild 406 or Zinsser Gardz.

Then cut and trim these sheets accurately, and do a couple of dry-runs putting them up. Be absolutely sure you have a cunning plan to get them into place and held firmly and flatly whilst the adhesive grabs. If necessary, have some timber battens or similar to place against the sheets to hold them securely and accurately in place - with no cobby-wobbles - as the adhesive sets.

When you are certain of all this, then fire away. Except don't use fire.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Get rid of the laminate, it was a daft idea and is never going to work.
    Learn from your mistakes and learn that when you're in a hole you need to stop digging.

11. Ok. Soz... :oops:

12. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

if he needs the space, hack off the old plasterwork and start again. sounds like its blown anyway.

Astramax likes this.
  13. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

No but you can use Pink Grip foam gunned on which I mentioned before, this is specifically used for gluing plasterboard to walls and is much easier than the old dot and dab method, the ply wood needs to be reasonably thick say 9 to 12 mm if it is thinner then you might get bulges, also you would need to put the sections on flat.

gryphon likes this.
  14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

This thread is becoming like one of the conversations with my kids - "No you can't do that its stupid", "But what if i do this", "No that's just as bad", "But what If ...."

Anytime soon somebody's mum is going to be asked .....