Painting / Staining over Creosote substitute.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Murdo78, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Murdo78

Murdo78 New Member

I'm looking to benefit from the accumulated years of experience on the forum for my own benefit if possible.

A year or two ago we had new fencing erected around our property which I stained with a creosote substitute. This was done to save on costs with no particular thought given to down the line. Now I'm down the line and have kids and pets wanting to play in the garden and hang off the fencing and doing so can often leave the oily residue you associate with the product, especially in the warmer weather when they all want to run around outside.

My question is.... What can I do to allow me to cover over it with a conventional stain such as Ronseal, etc? I realise that the oily nature of the creosote substitute will present problems with something taking hold or penetrating the boards but if there's something I can do is like to consider it.

The fencing has been up for up to 2 years and there's around 50m of the stuff up to 2m in height at some points. The boards have thankfully weathered some since the original application and aren't as greasy but are still quite bad in the less exposed parts.

Wishing I'd never been so tight in the first place now as I realise it's going to involve some hard work and money now to reverse my initial decision.

Any and all help appreciated.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A solvent based preservative would be better I think,will soak in more.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It would be cheaper to buy a 25ltr drum of preservative.

I use to buy Barrettine Wood Preserver 25Ltrs for around £70.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  4. Murdo78

Murdo78 New Member

Would the idea be that the preservative will stop the residue of the creosote substitute being evident?

I've just knocked up another smaller fence to isolate part of the garden for the dog, to keep the colour the same do you think it would be possible to use the creosote substitute to colour it then overpaint it with the Barrettine to seal it in? Sounds like more work that required but I can hear the wife already!

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. Murdo78

Murdo78 New Member

I'll have a look at their website later to see what they offer.

I used Creoseal Plus (£30/25l). Looks ok but could do with another coat to freshen it up.

Thanks for the advice.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A product made by BEDEC called BARN PAINT can be painted over many types of coatings , one being creosote, it is available in a range of colours all with a pleasing opaque finish. Worth checking out. Google it.

8. Murdo78

Murdo78 New Member

Quite expensive to buy in the quantities required but if it does the job you can't argue with that. I like the fact I could knock it out quickly with good recoating times.

Thanks for the tip.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Thought you were trying to get rid?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Murdo78

Murdo78 New Member

Ha! Colour wise only my friend!! I'm coastal so it takes a battering in the colder months.

Can just imagine the good wife's response if she were to find me brush in hand and 25l container of creoseal in the garage.