Should the UK remain as a member of the EU?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by nffc, Feb 21, 2016.

?

Should the UK remain as a member of the EU?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. No

83 vote(s)
    68.6%
  3. I don't know

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. I don't vote

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Let's hope that that's the question rattling about in the governments collective brains at the moment.

2. Could you be suggesting that a properly informed electorate would have voted differently... :p

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

4. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Nar, but if labour had a credible leader who advocated remains 'fear tactics' it could well have swayed many in the labour strong holds to vote remain.

5. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

6. Yep. Along with a Leave campaign that didn't tell porkie pies. As they admitted the day after - before they ran away...

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  7. Well done you for finding that Daily Express article.

Tell me, Phil, do you believe what that article is suggesting? Sorry, I meant do you honestly believe what that article is suggesting? (Along with its 'Brexit Boom!' moniker... :rolleyes:)

Because, if you do, you are ignorant.

We are certainly not having a Brexit Boom, however much that 'Leave' paper (I ain't going to grace it with the prefix 'news'...) is trying to dishonestly claim.

That headline requires a wee touch - just a tiny wee touch - of critical analysis. After which you will realise it's saying nothing of the sort.

Of COURSE there are countries lining up to do trade deals with the UK should we leave the EU! That is a statement of the bleedin' obvious! Just like of COURSE every country in the whole wide world is trying to do trade deals with every other country in the whole wide world!

So - sorry - nothing special going on here, Phil. At all. It is deliberately and intentionally misleading.

Give us a call when you can show that the UK is lining up deals that are superior to that we already have. And will successfully replace all that we already have.

Or, to use an Expressism, give us a call, Phil, when we have a genuine 'Brexit Boom'... And not the more honest 'going rapidly down the pan' that we currently have (I can link you to many scary articles if you like).

The Express tried the exact same trick a few weeks back with a headline claiming "Turkey is in talks to join the EU NOW!". That was equally misleading because of COURSE Turkey is having these talks - that is nothing new! They've been having these talks for DECADES and will be doing so for DECADES more.

So, whilst technically a 'correct' thing to claim - "They're having talks NOW!" - it is ACTUALLY as meaningless as the headline regarding 'BOOM!'.

Phil - you gotta answer me - do you understand what I'm saying? Yes? Cool. Now, does it make any difference now you've been told the truth about the Express?

No? That's a shame.

And another reason why I simply do not believe you have an IQ of 160.

Phil...Phil...Phil - is Brexit going well? :rolleyes:

8. Ah! That'll be the reason why any new deals are gonna be carp... Them nasty 'ex-friends' of our are gonna stitch up up good and proper like... :rolleyes:

9. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I dunno, you were saying that's exactly what will happen.
    Many, many page's ago, before the ref.

10. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Well the politicians gave us more lies than facts on both sides. So it is up to them to sort it out. I do not envy them their task. It seems impossible to me .
    When will they come up with a plan?

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

They have, it's called "Kick it into the long grass till something else comes along".

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Twit.

Dunno where your IQ is, but it sure isn't up to a hundred.

Brexit ain't started yet! The downturn at the mo is because of the uncertainty.

You won't see upturn until the ball is rolling(or we are free to do some business).

Do you have NO faith in the UK? What kind of citizen are you?

Try backing your country instead of belittling it all the time.

Or F off!

13. Ok, soz, Mr Ha.

I should wait until Art 50 is invoked, then it'll all be great?

Phew.

The single biggest lie in your whole post is the pernicious attempt at suggesting I have no faith in this country, when the exact opposite is true. You should have a pretty good idea by now what kind of citizen I am. As I certainly do of you.

(Although I have to confess my 'faith' in the inherent decency of great British people was shaken by this vote.)

14. Well, the EU certainly doesn't owe us any favours, does it? One tends to take being stabbed in the back a tad badly.

And it simply doesn't make sense that the UK will have a better - or even similar - deal with the EU than it currently has - unless, of course, it agrees to all that the EU's requires (in which case nothing really will have changed).

That is plain common sense, isn't it Longs?

Here's the thing, tho', if things don't turn out quite as hunky dory as some Leavers claimed they would (although those still claiming this are fewer on the ground all of a sudden...), you can be certain where the blame will be laid. And that's anywhere but at the feet of the Brexit supporters.

I don't know if the EU bargaining is going to be deliberately tough to 'teach the UK a lesson', or whether the EU will actually try and compromise more than they should just to try and keep the UK within the EU in as many ways as possible. And you don't know this either.

But, when it starts to look as tho' the UK has shot itself solidly in the foot - as 95% of financial and trade experts reckoned it would before the vote - then we all know, me and you, who the Brexiters will blame :rolleyes:.

15. Mr. Handyandy

Firstly, I have never said that it will be great.
    Secondly, it won't become great as soon as A50 is invoked.
    Thirdly, if you have so much faith in the country, how come you think that outside the EU, we are doomed to fail?

You're getting thicker by the hour.

16. I would love to know how what they tell us is going on behind the scenes compares with what is actually being negotiated.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Well the head EU negotiator hates Brits and will only negotiate in French which bearing in mind that we don't have any trade negotiators anyway is sure to go well.

18. No I'm not - I am just as thick as I was when this thread started. As are you.

Anyhoo, only the most determined (ie. too embarrassed to admit it could have been an error...) Brexiters are still shouting 'great decision!' about the vote.

It has nothing to do with 'faith' whether this country will do well now - it's to do with politics and economics. If you made your vote based on 'faith', then, well, y'know...

We are not 'doomed to fail', but almost certainly it's going to make life a lot more difficult for a great many people for a long long time.

Who knows - perhaps after a decade of renegotiating and new trade deals and replacing the industries damaged as a result of us no longer being in the single market, Britain may well be back to where it is now in terms of GDP. (Mind you, the increased deficit will be truly mind-blowing).

So, in a decade's time we could be back to roughly where we are now. But that's largely guesswork.

Hmm, had we not Brexited, I wonder where we'd be in 10 years time in comparison. (This is Mr Ha's cue to make a silly claim, something really silly, off the top of his head).

What an achievement! In 2026 we may possibly be back where we are now in 2016! A lost decade! And we still won't have all the things we currently do. And we almost certainly won't have the rights we currently do if the right-wing Tory government remain in power.

Welcome to your fascist regime, Mr Ha. I know you'll be happy there.

19. A tad harsh, Chips.

More of us Brits are pretty fluent in French that people think. I can still say the French for "It is under the table.*"

Which is pretty much where the UK economy will be.

*"Eel eh sooor le tab-luh" :)

20. Mr. Handyandy

That sounds like 'on the table'.