Shed build

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by FatHands, May 7, 2016.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

A week will be fine.

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

thanks jit. just reading up on birdsmouth cuts for the roof :)

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have a look at this video, there are three in the series, Shannon makes the bird mouth so simple.

FatHands likes this.
  4. FatHands

That's great thanks K. Watching now :)

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

He explains the maths very clearly & breaks it down into sections & how to use a roofing square properly, overall a good video.

6. FatHands

he certainly does, good find that, thanks for sharing K. I am going to watch all 3 in his series but prepare for some more questions on here ;)

7. FatHands

really enjoyed those videos, very useful thanks K. slight change of plan thou.
    with the flooring. thinking of using 125 x 38 decking. if so, is it ok to place them tightly together or best to leave a 2mm gap so they can breath?
    think i will go for flat roof as my son did the maths for the pitch and walls wont be as tall as i thought (its 440 from the floor) and total height for permitted development is 2.5 so need to stay within that

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A flat roof, then look at grp roofing,cost more, but that is offset, as it will out last felt, should last 30 years plus, loads of colours available.
    Would need to lay on a 18mm ply, or OSB3 deck, what you using shed for.

FatHands likes this.
  9. FatHands

thanks k. will look at GRP roofing now. Shed will be used for tools, lawnmower garden tools. Just thought decking would be longer lasting and stronger than ply or osb and dont have to worry about the weather getting to it.

10. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

That's a nice shed you're building there mate,If I'd have known earlier I'd have sent the dog over to dig the post holes for you.She's dug some almost identical ones in my back garden,Can't work out whether she's planning building herself a new highrise dog kennel or if they're just ankle breakers,for a german shepherd she really takes security seriously.lol

FatHands likes this.
  11. FatHands

;) thanks phil. mrs worked hard digging them holes mate. 600 down ;) your dogs can always come over and take a p1$$ on them if you want ;)

philthespark likes this.
  12. FatHands

hey up! Lovely weather for shed building! Walls on their way. Decided on flat roof to get more height all over (its 450 from the floor). Followed all the advice (thanks guys). 18mm OSB t&g on the joists, 4 x 2 C24 treated studs and roof timbers. Would you use 18mm OSB to clad the walls and roof, or would 12mm exterior ply be OK?
    thanks again for all the advice ;)

sf_shed_bbq.jpg sf_shed_screw.jpg sf_shed_tv.jpg

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'd go for 18mm OSB, easier to fix things to it.

FatHands likes this.
  14. FatHands

Thanks chips, will do

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The coach screws tend to self countersink BTW

FatHands likes this.
  16. FatHands

Top man thanks chips.

17. FatHands

I went for firestone epdm in the end on a flat roof. Plan is to clad 5" loglap to the frame now. I haven't got a nail gun, so what would be the best screws to use? Should I pva the tongue and groove part or no need?
    Thanks

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have'nt you finished that shack yet.:eek:
    PVA:eek: it becomes tacky when wet, so no good.
    If yourgoing to finish the shed with a coloured finish then I alway give the boards a first coat before fixing them to shed, then you don't get bare wood showing if boards shrink.

Could hire a nailgun.:)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    FatHands likes this.
  19. FatHands

Tell me about it K, I was hoping it would be long done by now mate. :)
    If I hire something like this, what nails will go in it? Think the loglap is 22mm
    Thanks ;)

https://www.hirestation.co.uk/tool-hire/Drilling and Fixing/Fixing Tools/120130/

20. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

With that foundation you could go up a few floors! Make a lovely tower shed!

FatHands likes this.