What insurance do I need?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by fobos, Sep 19, 2016.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

See this from Trade direct

upload_2016-10-10_23-7-47.png

upload_2016-10-10_23-9-1.png

fairly simple really

https://www.tradedirectinsurance.co.uk/Professional-Indemnity.aspx

2. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Possibly, in my company we tend to follow the general line of command architect, SE, main contractor, subcontractor. What I was trying to get at is what you would be designing that could fail and thus be involved in litigation over without advice from the aforementioned design professionals who indemnity would then be used?

3. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

I'm sure trade direct would be over the moon is every Chippy took out there £1 a week pro indemnity insurance :rolleyes:

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

There are other alternatives

5. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

I am aware, but still not convinced it's needed for the OP in his line of work, if there were in anyway a doubt over the spec of a loft conversion I was undertaking the architect or SE would be asked to clarify this passing the onus back to the professional who was paid for design and advise then on any other decisions such as second fix joinery decoration client would be asked to spec and as long as installed to manufacture requirements product warrantywould be in effect. Why not take out an insurance backed warranty before every job ?

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It is not just Design, it covers advice as well and any work undertaken by sub contractors. Even if you engaged a structural engineer or architect it is your PI not theirs that is claimed on first - the onus is always on the principle contractor

7. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Only in house design and build contracts where the main contractor is responsible for the whole project. traditional build the client will instruct an Architect, the architect instructs the SE, the job will then go to tender, and a JCT/NEC contract is used to mitigate risks for the client and builder at no time I. These contracts is professional indemnity insurance required from contractor however contractors all risk with 10m liability is a must

8. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

http://www.jct651.co.uk/jct-651-insurance.php

9. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Sorry we can agree to disagree but I've been involved with large projects and is unheard of for even contractors to hold indemnity let alone some traders

10. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Sole

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And are you saying I haven't been involved in large projects ?

12. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

that wasn't what I was implying but just stating that pi is not required for us mere builders as we are not involved in the design or specification

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Not just design and specification. Even with specification an architect will specify something like a bitumen coating and then site manager contractor will get one of many bitumen coating product from a supplier therefore he is now specifying the product and also the supplier

14. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Yes and if that fails and it has been installed to the manufacturers requirements or as with many other materials an approved contractor is used then the product warranty will be implemented, this has nothing to do with pi, professionals have pi contractors have all risk and insurance backed warrantees, maybe you should look into all risk as you may be under insured :(

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You make some arrogant assertions that I may be under insured.

If the product fails that you have selected it is your problem first to fix. The you have to go back to the manufacturer - it has everything to do with PI

16. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

17. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Also I wouldn't be selecting any materials without being in full agreement with architect or SE even down to bitumen

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

This is really simple. A PI claim will pay out for the rectification costs not for the component costs. If a bitumen membrane fails and causes the ingress of water then a wall or roof may need to be stripped to repair the product may cost £100 but the repair ,000s

19. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

you are mistaken if you think this is the correct insurance you are talking about an insurance backed warrantee that is taken out at the start of a job to protect against product failures, pi will cover legal fees and damages during litigation when a client dues you for sequential loss cased from bad advise or design you have provided!!! Not for repairing poor workmanship honestly I wasn't picking a fight just no that I've just taken out a 8 grand insurance backed warranty out last month

20. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

P
    Please just google it it will not pay for repairing anything it indemnify from legal costs and damages, you even made me doubt myself!!!