Shed build

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by FatHands, May 7, 2016.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

FatHands likes this.
  2. What is wrong with a claw hammer for nailing them on?

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Rusty nails or bleed marks afterwards from the holes in the wood, nice little ring marks where the hammer hits the wood

log lap is of varying thickness and quality and driving a nail near the end can split it. Also unless you are using ring shanked nails they can be pulled out quite easily.

4. I suppose that would happen if you were not competent,however if it was getting secret nailed I would prefer a hammer to a paslode.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

With loglap planks, it is sometimes difficult to get a long enough/ strong enough fixing which doesn't does show, damage the tongue or split the timber. A paslode would be difficult to use for secret nailing on this - which is why a lot of people fire them through the face.

upload_2016-10-10_20-8-10.png

FatHands likes this.
  6. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Morning gents,
    Thanks for all the posts.
    K - I guess I could hire a nail gun but if its just speed being the benefit(?) then happy to hammer them in.
    The Log lap is 20mm thick so what do you guys think about something like this:

https://www.selcobw.com/selco-annular-ring-shank-nails-65mm-2-5kg

Also, shall I allow 40mm extra on each run to allow each join to butt? Will this need protecting from the weather or will it be ok?

Finally, any preferences to toungue in the up/down position?

Thanks for reading

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Tongue up, the water can't lay in the groove.
    And some peeps remove the tongue on first board under eaves, would also check how the T&G fits, so with a short offcut workout how the boards will go down the side, you don't want to end up with a thin slither of T&G at the bottom, it's better at the top.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    FatHands likes this.
  8. FatHands

Hi sos. Fair amount of noggins so access not easy mate

9. FatHands

Thanks for pointing that out K. Most useful ;)

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

When you lay out T&G you might be able to trim first board to completely loose any slither, also don't end you T&G flush with bottom of wall let it overhang a slightly, will stop any water running back under & into your shed.

FatHands likes this.
  11. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

were are the pictures I'm interested to see it near complete :)

FatHands likes this.
  12. FatHands

this is where i am at the moment with it (thanks for all the help along the way):)
    made two double doors from 4 x 2 and used stainless hinges which need to open and close one following the other so unable to lock the one from inside and lock the other to that, so guess i would be looking at something like this to secure (what do you guys think?)
    http://diometonline.co.uk/home-and-garden/home-security-products/shed-security-bar

IMG_20161019_173806.jpg

leesparkykent likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Rather impressive shed:)

Would have fitted 3 hinges per door.:)
    Do like that security bar you linked too, make sure you have steel reforcement plates inside as well for fixing bolts.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  14. FatHands

Thanks K and thanks for all your help!!!
    I was debating on 3 per door but the manufacturer says they are good for 100kg doors but there is always the warp factor I guess.

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Trouble is, I'm old school so tend to over engineer things:oops::rolleyes:, but it's a weighty door, so I fit three hinges like you do a fire door, .:)

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And I would suggest a diagonal brace or some corner plates to stop the door "racking"

KIAB likes this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree.

18. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Hi Fats, with the security bar you're thinking of buying, what is your idea to stop the door being kicked inwards?

19. Should have protected the end grain on the loglap with timber section the same thickness.

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could fit bracket to edge of each door same as edge brackets in pic below.:)

[​IMG]

wiggy likes this.