Sound Insulation in Window

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by koolpc, Oct 21, 2016.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

In my bedroom i have a new Double Glazed window with one big pane and a quarter light and a bigger opener under that.

I hate noise and i can hear the hum of the motorway / roads in the distance.

Is there anything i can do to stop that noise?

I have heard of secondary glazing but we only just changed these windows! (2 weeks ago)

Toughened glass in windows.

No slack in openings as far as i can see.

Astramax likes this.
  2. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Wondering if it makes any difference when you pull the window shut even more tightly with your hand?

Sure there aren't any gaps on the sides when fitted (between frame and wall)? All voids have been filled correctly etc.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Take the trim off around frame & foam any gaps between frame & wall, use a low expansion foam, did front window here made quite a difference.

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

There are no trim around as windows fitted snug

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

No gaps at all. Is it easy to tighten window openings? They seem firmly shut.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bet if you removed a bit of plaster, you would find a gap between wall & frame.

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I dont plan on removing plaster! lol

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Its annoying for me as i can hear the 'humm' of the traffic in the distance! Drives me potty! lol

9. Secondary glazing fitted about 6" from the fitted double glazed windows works , 4mm glass

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I would rather fix the glazing i have. Not much sill to play with

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Go to sleep then, you won't hear it then...:p

Cheaper solution.

upload_2016-10-21_21-35-4.jpeg

12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Barsteward!

KIAB likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seems daff having to fit secondary glazing to solve a problem, prehaps you should have fitted tripple glazing.:)

The problem has to be down to installation, any gaps between wall & frame should have been sealed, before plaster was made good.

What about replacing glazed units with Pilkington Optiphon acoustic glass double glazing units.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

No plastering was done inside. A couple of thin plastic strips. Outside was a thin strip of plastic

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Remove the strips to gain access to the voids.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Simple, abit slow to sink in,but the hour is late.:D

17. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Among the best Soudal Expanding Foam in my opinion, I use the gun grade versions, but some do expand alot, so don't go overfilling otherwise you'll spend hours cleaning up & trimming back.:rolleyes:
    And wear gloves using it, & moisten surfaces with a water sprayer prior to application.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  19. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

This soundstage can be attenuated by having your double glazing different thicknesses of glass. So 4mm outer air gap and then 7mm would be what to go for. I did this for mine.

The science is when sound hits the glass it resonates at a certain frequency and can transfer easier (ie louder) if the next pane is the same thickness.

That's the starting point. If sound is still unacceptable, you look at secondary glazing.

20. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Ps, double glazing as per the spec above is better at sound attenuation than triple glazing. Triple glazing better for heat retention.