Size of fuse/breaker required at consumer unit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by J4M35, Aug 23, 2006.

1. J4M35

J4M35 Member

hi, can some one tell me, when making a ring main for sockets how many amps do you have per socket. eg if i have 7 double sockets in a ring main, what size should the fuse/breaker be in the c/unit.

another question. whats the regulations on how many double sockets there can be in one ring main. Could some one tell me or point me in to the direction where i can find this info. Thanks.

2. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Nope sorry, it would be completely irresponsible of me as you clearly haven't a clue what your trying to do!

Get a Spark in.

3. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

32A mcb fora ring main in 2.5 T&E.

An infinite number of sockets may be fitted, as long as Zs can be achieved.

tore81 likes this.
  4. Nobby O`toole

Nobby O`toole New Member

smith you should have a 32 amp breaker.And you can have as many socket outlets as you like,as long as the ring final does not exceed 100 sq metres.

5. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Get a Spark in.<

Agree! Listen to Sine..

6. Nobby O`toole

Nobby O`toole New Member

i also agree with sine.

7. J4M35

J4M35 Member

cheers for the reply those who answered the question.

Reason i wanted to know how much you would rate a double socket is if i have 2 sockets in a ring i don't really want the current to reach 7000 watts before the breaker tripped

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Nope sorry, it would be completely irresponsible of
    me as you clearly haven't a clue what your trying to
    do!

Get a Spark in.

Agree 100%. No disrespect to the chap but asking questions like that shows baser knowledge to say the least..perhaps he could study up and then have a rethink on his question..and then there are the practical issues and sorry to say Part P..if you are not going that route at least follow BS 7671 to the T.

9. Eye Squared R

Eye Squared R Active Member

Smiff (with 2 Fs),

"Reason i wanted to know how much you would rate a double socket is if i have 2 sockets in a ring i don't really want the current to reach 7000 watts before the breaker tripped"

The 32 Amp breaker in the Consumer Unit is there to protect the 2.5mm^2 T&E from over current. The fuse in the plug protects the item that is plugged into the socket and those should be rated to the lowest acceptable value but often the ubiquitous 13 Amp fuse is used as a cover-all.

10. dingbat

dingbat New Member

"Reason i wanted to know how much you would rate a double socket is if i have 2 sockets in a ring i don't really want the <u>current</u> to reach 7000 <u>watts</u> before the breaker tripped"

This is a wind-up, isn't it? If not then sinewave is only acting in the interests of public safety.

11. Legal Sparrow

Legal Sparrow Member

I reckon it's a wind up. Look at the text in the post.

c/unit = Not the sort of terminology Joe Public uses. Fuse box would have been more convincing.

What's the regulation on how many....
    Again not really convincing. Most people wouldn't think there is a regulation.

So come on, own up who are your really????

12. plastic bertrand

plastic bertrand Active Member

Nope sorry, it would be completely irresponsible
    of
    me as you clearly haven't a clue what your trying
    to
    do!

Get a Spark in.

Agree 100%. No disrespect to the chap but asking
    questions like that shows baser knowledge to say the
    least..perhaps he could study up and then have a
    rethink on his question..and then there are the
    practical issues and sorry to say Part P..if you are
    not going that route at least follow BS 7671 to the T.

It's a wind up JP., it is actually too blatant.

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

X must be on holiday..probably sunning himself in some tropical paradise somewhere studying up on yet another aspect of electrics..however despite that.... the safety aspects of this forum are being monitored..which proves it is pukka. I think there is more then one administrator for this site..X being the man in charge so to speak.

14. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Just goes to show, you never really know who that person is?

15. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

I can't believe Pengu would go away without a laptop?

We can't let that 'Post Count' slip now can we! ;)

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Just goes to show, you never really know who that
    person is?

From what I see there are several.and it would be wrong to name them so that will not happen..have noticed that they reply in the same ilk as X..but with not quite the same panache so to speak..who can copy X's panache? answer.. no one.

17. university of utube

university of utube New Member

its not really rocket science 32a on only 2 sockets? I would use a 16a.
    How can you have any respect for a regulatory authority That says ok plastic consumer units catch fire we will now use metal??? what about the thousands already fitted? If that was an air bag in a car they would all be recalled and replaced free of charge.

18. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Maybe not, but a time machine might be required to travel back to the date of the post :)

19. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Ring MAIN??? wots one a them?