Screwfix Things You Wish They Stocked

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by KIAB, Nov 12, 2016.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Used to use things link that (and cable ties) as hand holds when working on very high ceilings using some particularly wobbly steps :oops:

Joe95 likes this.
  3. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

A cheaper range of torx screws would be nice,Spax are ok,but I think in part you are paying for the name.We're on a job at the moment and needed about 40 torx head screws 1 1/2 x8, screwfix about £7, TS had them for just over £3, the only reason we need them is we have to fit about 15 led floods quite high on a building.The brackets have to be removed to screw them in,so we've come up with the idea of torx screws and an angled driver,no need to remove bracket and saves about 5 minutes on each fitting.Also as others have said quantity is sometimes an issue,ok Joe public may ony want 1 or 2 of an item but the pro may need several.I know with the expensive stuff it's a cost issue but with the small stuff it shouldn't be.

btiw likes this.
  4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You just reminded me - security screws ! Had to reboard an empty property recently after someone turned up and took off the ply with a cordless drill. Luckily I had put in some Torx ones alongside the Pozi ones and they couldn't get into the building.

Obviously needed them straight away and the only ones ranges are 38mm long and 18p each - when you need a 150+ it really hurts. To make matters worse the local shops only had a few packs of 10, so it was a bit of a run around the stores.

5. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

I was just typing exactly this when I saw your post.

I can only get clutch head screws as part of "selection pack" along with other screws I don't want, what's that about? What am I supposed to do when I've used the dozen in the selection pack, throw the rest of the pack away and buy another pack to finish the job?

It's not just security screws either, there are other screws and fixings I've found myself ordering from ebay after searching through the screwfix catalogue in vain.

6. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Roofing bolts are another,they only come in packs of 25,again aimed at the diy'er I think.

7. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

I think it's worse than that. They're packs of 10.
    Oh yeah, and square nuts by themselves.

8. Customer supplied Lap light fittings and fluorescents that work.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I don't touch anything Lap!:eek:

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What about that dancer?

KIAB likes this.
  11. I would never buy anything Lap myself as I always buy a reputable product from a reputable manufacturer.
    Twice I have installed Lap fittings supplied by customer and twice they had to be returned as faulty straight out of the box.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Too old now!:eek:

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

or even Dasher, , Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blixem or ruddy ?

14. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Good to know you are Heath and Safety conscious Sospan!:D:eek:

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

That was in my 20's (where lack of fear is at level with common sense) in the days before light weight scaffold and you had ridiculous wooden step ladders - 5 to 8m high. It was safer to overreach up there than go up and down the steps :eek::oops:

The things you used to do back then would get you put in front of a therapist now

Joe95 likes this.
  16. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Have one in the garage here. 20ft wooden step ladder, was here when we moved in. Used it once, too wobbly for me to be comfortable. Some of the things we used to get away with...:rolleyes:
    Feet not level, worn blue rope to hold the ladder together/upright :D

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

My brother in law is painter and decorator and he used to rope me in literally to paint ceilings in the old style schools. No safety harness, just tied a rope round our waste and looped it around the trusses a few times :rolleyes:

Joe95 likes this.
  18. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Another one while i think of it.
    SF sell the MK 3 gang sockets, but not the backboxes.

19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

True that is, brought triple socket a while ago and couldn't believe no 3G box available

Lucky for me BQ 60 seconds away and they sell both !

Joe95 likes this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:confused:

Rather stupid selling one & not the other.:(