Engineered flooring problem gaps between joints urgent advice needed!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by DenisJ, Nov 21, 2016.

1. DenisJ

DenisJ New Member

Hi all! I have this floor installed by myself. The problem is that it has quite huge gaps between boards (it goes into slots but is not secured by a click system as most floors). Now I'm trying to get my money back and the path floor sellers are routing me through is to have full independent floor inspection which potentially could cost me about 420 pounds: ''The only possible way for you to have your flooring lifted up and replaced would be to have a full impartial independent inspection. The cost of this would be about £350 +vat (which would be refunded if the independent inspection showed a manufacturing fault).'' Manufacturers inspectors were at our house and found some installation mistakes, three end joints which should never be installed that closely, some uneven floor in some places. But they never addressed gaps problem. Is there any chance that independent inspector will rule in our favour please? Can these gaps be named as manufacturing fault?

I would really appreciate your advice guys!!!

Link to floor video

2. This ain't going to be easy...

Firstly, tho', I would say that the sellers of this product are trying it on with the 'full survey at huge expense' malarkey. They are obviously hoping - expecting - that most peeps will stop at this point c'os of the risk of it not turning out as they hope.

I suspect strongly - tho' you'd need to confirm - that it's actually the other way around; they need to prove that the product isn't faulty, not you prove that it is.

How to do this I ain't sure, tho'. Clearly they re saying it's via this expensive investigation route.

You need to have a word with Citizens Advice Bureau on this.

I cannot comment on whether it is a faulty product or installation as I chust don't know. All I do know is that these floors do expand and contract a fair amount naturally, and that's why you have expansion gaps around the perimeter for example. So I'm not too surprised that if if the boards were expanding and shrinking - as it naturally does - that unglued or unclipped gaps would form.

(If the boards expand, they will lengthen slightly. Once they shrink again, gaps will be left since there's nothing pulling them together. Ditto if all they did was shrink since you fitted them - unfixed gaps will appear. It's bound to.)

So, how to prevent them? Is there something you should have done where board ends meet? I dunno, but check to see if clips should have been fitted, or if they should have been glued, etc.

I have to say, I suspect the 'chances' are it's down to something like this. And you admit that the manufacturers themselves found a few installation issues.

This is the risk you take DIYing a job like this - had it been supplied and fitted, then you'd be instantly covered.

I expect Pros will be along to suggest whether it's a fitting fault.

Are you SURE you followed the letter of the installation procedure? Including allowing the boards to acclimatise before fitting? The house wasn't cold and unheated during the installation time, etc?

Anyhoo, it looks like it could be prised back together - a crowbar at the end!

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hit the nail on the head DA, acclimatising or the lack of it, is usually main reason for gaps.

Astramax likes this.
  4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would say the first 3 or 4 are what you would expect with a product like that, I saw one where the gap was larger than it should be and watched until about 1:20 and then got bored.

Why is there huge dents in the floor at 1:08 just passed the tarpaulin ? and having a tarpaulin on the floor is part of your problems.

Why have you turned the lights off and used a torch ?

And as you said the manufacturers inspectors found no problems apart from a few minor problems and didn't even notice any "gap issues"
    Without seeing the floor as a whole in a proper light rather than your selected bits, no one on here is going to be able to give a proper opinion.

5. DenisJ

DenisJ New Member

Thank you for your replies! Thing is I have Kahrs floor which I have installed on the first floor myself and never had any problem with it as it has click lock system on all sides hence no gaps completely. Had it for 4 year now. Gaps appear all over floor surface even on perfectly flat surface and they can not blame it on slightly uneven floor in some places. Manufacturers would never admit it's their fault which was certainly expected.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

In what way would you think a block of wood could be defective ?

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You mention the flooring is not 'click', is it tongue and grooved which I am sure needs to be glued.

8. DenisJ

DenisJ New Member

There are no dents, i'ts just the way light shines on the floor I guess. It's a bean bag, not tarpaulin :)

I used the torch as that way you can see actual gaps, without it it would be hard to film them.

9. DenisJ

DenisJ New Member

The floor clicks only alongside of the board, not on the sides that is the main problem. Manufacturer does not recommend to use glue in any way.

10. DenisJ

DenisJ New Member

The wood is not defective, board design where it does not click locks on the side is, hence these gaps

11. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Does not look too bad to me. Can't you fill the bigger cracks with some brown silicon?

12. DenisJ

DenisJ New Member

It's not that I can't fix it but rather a matter of principle.

13. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Just out if interest have you got under floor heating.

Not that, that would be the only cause, general radiators/heating will cause the wood to shrink.
    I've seen on a conservatory a hard wood floor expand so much in the cold and damp it moved the inner skin of brickwork into the cavity by 15mm, now that scarey.

14. DenisJ

DenisJ New Member

I have underfloor heating and did not use it until recently but these gaps appear straight away after installation. Nothing to do with floor expansion.

15. Phil the Paver

Under floor heating will cause the wood to shrink, unless the wood was totally kiln dried before laying.

16. DenisJ

DenisJ New Member

I understand that but floor was laying flat installed for about 2 months and had these gaps from the installation day, so problem can't be linked to underfloor heating.

17. Phil the Paver

Can't offer anymore imfor. sorry.:(

18. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

usually gaps like that are because the boards don't meet together, caused by something getting into the joint. that might be stuff like saw dust from ongoing work. Or damaged joint cuts on the boards, where the material gets folded back into the join. But if it is noticed during the work the boards are usually discarded.

Are any of the boards cut shorter than the others? Because its fairly rare to find that.

Its possible the tongue is too long or the groove to tight or shallow. An independent inspection could not establish that unless the floor is taken apart.

My advice is to get some wax fillers and live with it.

longboat likes this.
  19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Me? I 'wood' fill the gaps. Not worth taking floor up for those.

20. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

How long has it been down?
    How many gaps are there?
    Did you put cork in the expansion gaps on long grain?
    Whats the make?