Engineered flooring problem gaps between joints urgent advice needed!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by DenisJ, Nov 21, 2016.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Looks likes dents . If it is that hard to film, then the gaps aren't that bad

upload_2016-11-21_17-14-26.png

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Wouldn't be surprised, if it was related in some respect to UFH. Sunlight can obviously cause hotspots and because the water isn't circulating the heat doesn't dissipate evenly and could lead to the water in individual pipe runs get hotter than adjacent ones.

3. My gut feeling, Dennis, is that you haven't a hope in hell with this.

(And that's coming from someone who often urges peeps that they do have a case and to go for it... :oops:)

Joe95 and longboat like this.
  4. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Have you tried closing the gaps with a pull bar?
    If not, it's worth a try, give the effected runs a good few whack's with a decent weight hammer. If no joy, I reckon 'dw' is probs right with his diagnosis because you don't have gap's on every join.
    Ya should have really addressed the problem when you noticed it on day one, rather than carry on installing the rest of the floor.
    **** happens, so they say.

5. fobos

fobos Member

I had the same thing happen on a laminate "click" type flooring last year (quickstep). The problem was on the short ends of the boards. The long sides were fine.

I took the whole lot up and glued it together with PVA - but just on the ends of the boards. I was convinced that it was due to shrinkage. The instructions said there was no need to glue it but I went for it.

Anyway it solved the problem.

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

To be honest Denis, after watching the video, the gaps are certainly not 'huge.' As others have stated, can't give an accurate summary as your video only shows select bits. The obvious question is if these gaps were apparent immediately after installing/ installation why did you proceed with the entire floor? ( If you're fitting a floor yourself you notice EVERYTHING at each incremental stage). I'm not picking holes, just observing a few criteria.

If the manufacturers have been out to look at it and didn't even notice the gaps, perhaps it's either an expected movement (have you checked manufacturers instructions for any clause), like solid wood flooring, or dare I suggest you're being a bit picky? Asking for your money back on an otherwise decent looking floor that you've installed yourself (so they can't give you an installation guarantee) is a bit over the top in my opinion.

If you haven't glued anything i would try wedging a pry bar or laminate fitter bar at the ends of each row with gaps, and putting pressure on it and hitting with a hammer carefully to try to close up a touch, other than that fill the gaps with a mix of pva glue, sawdust and the stain that resembles the floor the closest.

longboat likes this.
  7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Could be that the 'Borrowers' have been making entrances and exits in your floor?

8. DenisJ

DenisJ New Member

It was down for about 3 months now
    Gaps are all over the floor area
    Cork is not really needed in projects like that
    Make is in the name of the video

9. DenisJ

DenisJ New Member

I have never seen any gaps in the engineered floor like that including in the Kahrs floor which I also installed myself on the 1st floor. This fact is really annoying

10. I have to say, I do not understand why the plank ends aren't also 'clic'-locked which would have presumably prevented this issue from arising?

Is this normal? If so, what's to stop what's happened here from happening every time?! I mean, if the ends aren't 'fixed' together, these opening gaps are inevitable. Surely?

Are you sure the ends aren't meant to be bonded/glued?

No floor layers on here? Where's Audi-Evo when you need him... :(

Doall likes this.
  11. DenisJ

DenisJ New Member

I can fix this with a bar, no problem. If I won't glue them that after some time I will gave same gaps again.

12. DenisJ

DenisJ New Member

That's the main issue, ends do not have lock system, just grooves where movement occurs (some grooves are too big). I have Kahrs floor upstairs and it has click lock system in all places hence no sign of ANY gaps, rock solid.

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

At the end of the day - you bought them like that and after the first few lengths, you continued to fit them. You can't hold a manufacturer responsible for this.

If you are unhappy pull it up, sell it on gumtree / ebay and put the Kahrs floor you really wanted in the first place

koolpc likes this.
  14. DenisJ

DenisJ New Member

You're really helping me out here, thanks for a sound advice! Gaps were not clearly visible when I laid the floor and I hoped floor would lock when the bigger portion of it was laid. You have to use the torch to see gaps clearly.

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Don't use a torch then :)

Doall, Jord86 and koolpc like this.
  16. I think I would first check that it is possible to slide the planks up to close the gaps, and then brush in some neat PVA in there. Crow-bar the planks up to close the gap and wipe away excess - right in to the groove - with a damp cloth.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

17. DenisJ

DenisJ New Member

Thank you for your help but I'm not after the ways of fixing it, I want to know if I have any chance of independent inspector ruling out in my favour. Do we have any certified flooring inspectors in the house? :)

18. I suspect you are on a hiding to nothing. But I don't know for sure.

Can you email the manufacturer's and ask what solution they have to prevent end-of-board gaps appearing?

(If they suggest something and it wasn't included in the initial fitting instructions, then you might 'have' them!)

19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Looking at the evidence presented i cannot see you getting anywhere. They could argue that you checked each board before laying and were happy to then proceed?! How many gaps are there? Its only a few, yes?

Surely (not Shirley!) you must have noticed these gaps as you were laying them?

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And if you need a torch to see them :rolleyes:, I think you are really hoping for too much