Advice needed about separated drain system according to Building regulation

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by cidfenmaria, Nov 22, 2016.

1. cidfenmaria

cidfenmaria Member

Hi,

I wonder someone could advise about the drain system from a residential house:

For a building of less than 25 years it says it will probably have separated surface water drainage system, (other than the foul drain). Directing rain water into the foul drain is not allowed due to the building regulation. The house I am buying has this issue exactly and the survey report suggests that remedial work may be required and may be expensive.

Should that be a concern to me as it says [may be expensive]. What's your opinion

Fussy or necessary?

Thanks!

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Fussy, IMO.
    However if you can prove to the water authorities that no rain water enters the sewer system you may be able to claim a discount on your water charges.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's only a 'Maybe' & not confirmed, one way to confirm is put some drain dye down the gullies & lift a manhole & see if it enters the foul drain.:)

4. cidfenmaria

cidfenmaria Member

thanks above, let's say if it is the case what consequence?

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

None that I can see.

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

The previous owners didn't face any consequence did they?

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seen houses were they had to rerout or lay new surface water pipe work to a soakaway, but every case is different & that may not happen to you.

8. Hi Cid.

I may be wrong - so get further advice - but I suspect that 'errors' made under lax building control cannot be retrospectively tackled. (Unless it were a safety issue for example.)

So, if it turned out that your surface water was literally going down the drain, then I don't think anyone can force you to sort it. After all, it's what most houses are like.

In any case, the water board would need to find out about it, and there's no way that's gonna happen, is there?

Provided you send a cheque to the value of £5k to:

Mr DA,
    1 Sanctimonious Towers
    Upyerbotty Road
    The Moon.

Ta muchly.

Joe95 likes this.
  9. cidfenmaria

cidfenmaria Member

thanks above had no idea before but now I see cheers :)

10. The worse that could happen is that they charge you for the surface water going down the sewer. They might be doing that already, so no change...

And that's the case with most houses - separate soakaways are a fairly recent development, I think - possibly around the time of your house build?

But I'm not sure.

Dr Bodgit likes this.