Engineered flooring problem gaps between joints urgent advice needed!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by DenisJ, Nov 21, 2016.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If any of the experienced craftsmen on this board fitted that floor and you told us you weren't going to pay because when you shone a torch on the floor the gaps looked big, the politest response would be laughter .......

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

The gaps look pretty tiny to me.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If I was laying a floor next time I would open up the packs and stack the planks out so that air gets to it.

Most boxes are wrapped so don't see how they can acclimatise when sealed?

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Now I remember, I had a similar issue years ago when I laid Ikea laminate flooring, it was the T&G type with PVA applied on all 4 sides. I too had gaps appearing just like this, I didn't open up the packs before laying the floor which may have been the cause. I just lived with it, always put it down to installation error not the problem with the floor itself.

5. DenisJ

DenisJ New Member

Sospan, you are not contributing here in any way, if you want to have fun please look somewhere else

6. DenisJ

DenisJ New Member

Here some pictures of these gaps for anyone saying they are tiny.

Attached Files:

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I still think you're on a hiding to nothing if you are trying to pin the blame on the materials rather than the fitter.

It might be that the design is not optimal, as the short ends should be firmly connected, or glued. However the manufacturer might claim this is a feature in order to allow the wood to move rather than bind or warp.

8. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Not worth getting an inspection done. The overall condition of the product is as manufactured, and as far as you were concerned suitable to proceed fitting with.
    They give recommendations and advice with the product, but they have no responsibility for fitting if done by yourself. So your argument with them can only be about their product.

Can you argue the case? Only by showing that the product is defective in some way. So you would need to take the floor apart and examine each of the faulty boards. Experienced floor fitters simply discard anything that doesn't work as it should. There will always be some boards which are damaged. A badly manufactured run of boards would be consistently faulty through the batch. They would all be wrong. This isn't the case.

longboat and Dr Bodgit like this.
  9. DenisJ

DenisJ New Member

Why won't they have this feature alongside of the board and have this floor dancing away? :))) Nice feature...

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Why don't you listen to what people are telling you - your are moaning about your own fitting and trying to blame it on a product. Trying to point out defects only visible by torchlight is frankly pathetic.

You are new here, so keep your post civil

11. DenisJ

DenisJ New Member

You are really annoying and impolite person, did someone tell you that or I'm the first one? Not in any way, shape or form did you help me, I can only see abuse and jokes from you. Please try to be civil yourself before giving such advice to others

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Here we go..:eek:.......handbags at dawn!

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have no time for pathetic little winers, nothing much wrong with the product. I have seen it all now with some turning the lights down and checking the gaps by torch light - how sad is that.

Can't you see you have little empathy and that people are slowly mocking you. And by the way I am polite to people who deserve it

14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

So what's the plan Denis if the independent assessors determine the floors perfectly adequate mate?

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No you see it...................now you don't.............. now you see it ................now you don't!

Joe95 likes this.
  16. I think i see a problem in picture 4, the angle of the end of the board, versus the 1 next to it. Is that what you mean?

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

:):p

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Now look here. This forum isn't somewhere that likes posters to get into petty squabbles :):)

Joe95 and Astramax like this.
  19. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

The instructions usually state to leave an expansion gap of 3mm per meter. Next time you fit wood floor remember to add them up and leave the gap at the end. It does not mean leave a 3mm gap every meter.
    All the best.

koolpc likes this.
  20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Someone give you an epiphany for Christmas :)