What screws

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Deleted member 164349, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Got to the stage where i need to buy full set of screws, am running low on all sizes.

Generally i just buy the size or 2 i need at the time and have ended up with all different makes, and heads etc.

Rather than buying more just to keep going, its a good time to buy a full set, might as well all be the same type.

Mostly use indoors, but often outdoors. need strength, rust resistant, easy to use (pozi ?), good range of sizes and good priced but price isnt the most important issue. For the amount i use I prefer better rather than cheaper.

Recomendations, any to avoid, comments?

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Buying cheap screws isn't a good idea, always better to spend a bit more on quailty screws.
    Poke your nose to our host competitor, they do the smaller Reisser Trade pack of screws, six boxes covering 20mm to 50mm sizes & you even get two pozi bits included.
    Reisser & Reisser R2 screw are among the best for quailty.

Google & you may find other Riesser & Riesser R2 screw trade pack offering other sizes.

http://www.reisser.co.uk/#/cutter/4557222656

http://www.reisser.co.uk/#/reisser-r2/4557271905

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    btiw likes this.
  4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

If you are a trades person then yes i agree but for DIY i find most will do the job fine.

5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Turbogold ones are good. I usually buy the trade packs in carboard boxes, and odd boxes for smaller sized screws

Avoid wickes screws, I brought some when SF were out of stock in that size, and a bunch of them snapped when I used the impact driver.

6. Been looking at the turbogold and wondering.

Just to clarify, im not a builder, but not diy either. Probably use about 50 screws a month, so happy to pay for better quality, but want something I can use for most things, indoor and out.

Last few jobs include plywood lining a van, fixing grab rails inside and out, fitted shelves into a recess etc.

7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I highly recommend them, partularly for the price. If I remember correctly, they are also zinc covered, so suitable for outside use.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Have a look here http://www.bigtoolbox.co.uk/Products/Screws

I always buy the Reisser cutter and cutter 2 screws in tubs - excellent value and don't have the same problem as the Turbo gold which I find sheer off

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good linky.:)

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

a nice company to deal with as well. Old fashioned shop in the front - web empire out the back :)

KIAB likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I feel an order is due, getting low on screws,just had to go out & buy a box of No7 CSK.:(

12. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I too will recommend Reisser - I get mine from Isaac Lord in High Wycombe.

You do need to be careful as to which ones you buy for each application though. Their "Cutter" screws are great for going into timber, close to edges and ends however, don't use them in plugs as they cut the plastic and Fischer suggest using the non-cutter variants for those.

Deleted member 164349 likes this.
  13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I purchased a stainless steel set of screws from SF a few years ago when they were on offer they are called TurboUltra.

Always use stainless steels screws now in bathroom or exterior places. i.e guttering and down pipes as they won't rust.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I always use glass screws. Shattering driving them in though!

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The only problem I found with them is that the screw head were very soft and if you weren't careful got mashed

16. Pollowick

All stainless screws will be "soft" in comparison and it will be te head that goes first although I have seen cases of the shanks shearing when doing up tight. Also, it is recommended hat a specific tip is used for stainless screws.

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That's happened a few times :oops:

18. Looks a good screw, but probably not fully universal enough for me?

I am often fixing things to walls, use a lot of plugs, rather than wood to wood, so might be better with turbogold or similar?

19. Pollowick

If you use a lot of plugs then just get the Reisser R2 screws making sure they are NOT the cutter versions. They can be used into timber too.

http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/fixings/yellow-woodscrews/countersunk?brand=1108 And they do "trade packs" with a variety too ...

Deleted member 164349 and KIAB like this.
  20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

For jobs where I'm paying I tend to use Turbogolds apart for 2 specific jobs where I use imperial twinfast , at work we use Titman or Reisser and I prefer the Titman but that could be because our Reisser's aren't cutters as they don't drive in very well.