What to do with gap in laminate flooring?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by white rabbit, Nov 21, 2016.

1. white rabbit

white rabbit Member

Hi everyone.

I'd be really grateful for a bit of advice.

I've just bought a new house and want to remove a brick fire surround added around the chimney stack.

Problem is that the floor is laminate and I'm thinking when the brick fireplace is removed I'll be left with a gap where it used to be with no flooring there (I.e. just bare space).

Any ideas how I could neaten up this area so it doesn't look like a dogs dinner (I don't have any of the original laminate floor to fill in)?!

Many thanks,

Jamie

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Hello peter.
    I would make it in to a bit of a feature, get on free adds and find some overs on flooring and patch it in and trim nicely with some mitred corners

3. Hi Jeff (erson Airplane...)

A photo speaks a thousand words. So, since there ain't a photo, here's a thou...

You will still have a chimney breast? Is it opened? Could it be?

Chimney breast are awesome, man, and will almost certainly be a nice feature in the room.

I'd be tempted to fit a new, wider, hearth of a nice material such as slate - or it could be anything - and if you want to keep it all unfussy, then a floating timber mantel could be mounted above the opening.

Then chust put things on it - nice, tall dramatic sculptures and sh**

Anyhoo, a photo would be great.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

e hearh

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Have to agree with DA, a open fireplace & hearth can be a great focal point in a room, shame when they are blocked up.:)

5. white rabbit

white rabbit Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The sculptures will come later :)

So here's a photo of the fire surround attached.

One problem I think I'll have is that, if I knock this great big thing out, I'll not just have a gap in flooring around the chimney stack, but also right along the back wall, so not sure I can get away with just creating a hearth area.

Any more thoughts now you guys have a photo?

Cheers!

IMAG0425.jpg

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Ah, you didn't mention it was a full wall fireplace :eek: if flooring can't be sourced what about opening up the fireplace, alcove cupboards each side with a slate or quarry tiled hearth in the centre? If you're not utilising the opening to burn things, you could run skirting all the way around the wall and cupboards making it look seamless (or words to that effect)

tore81 likes this.
  7. Lots of thing you can do there, Whitie.

First I'd say definitely open up that fireplace, then board it up in its 'roof' inside and place that vent there, out of sight (the flue will still need venting).

What to do with the bricks?

Options - make it a feature by being bold:

bacf9c03fb11655d76a4981a5e6a45ae.jpg 38479963717d9bbeda6cecc7eeb76ef8.jpg gray-painted-brick-fireplace.jpg

(That last one is like yours - similar bricks. And I think it's the most effective - I really like it :))

Or cover it with a layer of plaster if you want it smooth - set guide beads at each side and edge beads around the opening and lay on a bonding coat or all-in-one plaster. Use a what's-it-called long metal edge to level it off, and then flatten it with a trowel as it sets. It might need a bit of extra work to fill any dips and sand flat any high points, but it ain't a large area to have to work on, and plaster is easy to sand...

That will leave a step when the mantle currently is - a bit low, I think? If so, remove that mantle board and take that new plastered level up another foot - again do this by fixing a guide bead at the required height. That step will now be at the height you want for your new mantle.

Then add a new mantle of your choice - a 'floating' oak beam or whateves - something dramatic and chunky. It'll sit where that step is so disguising it.

Build cupboards/bookshelves up each alcove, although I see the LH is shallower.

Or, completely remove the side parts and build cupboards there with bookshelves above, and either keep the centre bricked breast with a dramatic colour added or else smooth-render it and do whatever with it.

If you really want to remove all the bricks, then don't worry about how to cover the gaps left; open the fireplace and then fit a shallowish (coming out say 300mm?) hearth the full breast width using a slab of slate or tiles (check out eBay - not as expensive as you think) and then remove the side sections and build cupboards there, making sure they come out enough to cover the gap!

SDC18204.JPG

Anyhoo, there is no need to remove these decor bricks if you don't want to.

I think I'd be tempted to go the remove the side sections and build cupboards with shelves there, but keep the centre part bricked - with added bricks (recovered from the sides) to raise the bricked area higher until you get to where an imposing mantle will go. And I'd paint the bricks either black or charcoal. At least I think I'd try painting them chust to see, and if it's not working for you, then either remove or plaster over.

I would never do that sort of thing normally 'cos I can't visualise what it might look like, but I really like these painted bricks above now that I've seen them. I think it really works.

8. Gawd, I wish I had this job to deal with!

The more I look at it, the more I'm sure I'd keep these bricks (now that I've seen photos of how good it can look painted).

I'd keep them all! Paint them dark charcoal. Open the fireplace. Fit a hearth if you want, but not needed. If you don't want to, then simply tile the open fireplace floor, up to the laminate edge. Something like slate tiles.

Then replace that scabby mantle with a hefty solid oak beam 4 to 6" high and coming out about the same. Keep it at that low height - that leaves the breast above to place some awesome things on - which I can't of at the moment...

Oak to be Danish oiled and burnished so it glows, like in the photos above.A light stain if needed to get it to be similar to the lovely floor.

The two sides get a similar oak treatment, this time with thinner slabs, perhaps around 2 to 3" thick. These would only have to be around 8-odd inches deep, because then you'd build the bookcases behind them. You even have power going to wall lamps there for your downlighters.

Charcoal and oak - wow.

Man, I love to do that now...

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Def looks dated. Get some dynamite. o_O

10. white rabbit

white rabbit Member

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

My solution to the original gap in flooring issue is now to rip out the laminate flooring completely :)

It doesn't show in the photo but whoever put the flooring in did a terrible job. There are huge gaps everywhere between the boards and coving and nasty cheap beading everywhere.

So they are coming off and will sand and varnish the original floorboards as they look in good condition.

The bricks are also all coming out but i will restore the fireplace by opening it back up and adding some nice period reclaimed fireplace.

I like the suggestion to build in cupboards beside the chimney stack so will prob go for that too.

Thanks for the advice.

11. NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! He's ripping out the bricks :(.

Man, you have two choices - you either 'conventional' and do whatever most other folk do, or you use the opportunity given and make a statement that'll make people go "OH MY GAWWWD!"

Er, I mean that in a good way...

12. Really - you don't think this is fluffing amazing?!

(Ok, perhaps a bit too much - perhaps make the breast a contrasting colour - but to make the bricks and bookcases charcoal with large glowing oak mantle and shelves would be - wow)

gray-painted-brick-fireplace.jpg

13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

WAW!!!! That is naff looking!! :p:p:p

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Great idea mate. Remember the dynamite too! :p

tore81 likes this.
  15. Charcoal and oak - these are two classics and go together like, ooh, Chips and Pavings. (That's an inside joke... :oops:)

I know that the above is too much for most folks - including me - but you have chust a long low section of the exact same bricks, and the opportunity of making a even better statement than this.

Charcoal bricks, oak mantles and you could make the side units/bookcases a contrast - ivory with charcoal insides:

Untitled.jpg

16. :(

I want to move house now so's I can do summat like that :(

17. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Really? Sad! VERY SAD! :p

18. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

So DA, charcoal and oak eh? I'm thinking of something similar for my log cabin/man cave, except I prefer slate and oak (below piccy is more cedar than oak). Building one of these means you don't need to move house!

Wha-da-ya think?

[​IMG]

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Waw!!! Did you build that? Awesome