Best Reasonably priced Impact driver bits?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by wau5, Nov 2, 2016.

1. wau5

wau5 Active Member

My box of 10 milwaukee shockwave impact driver bits is finished after just half a year non-constant use,
    I'm not 100% sure that I would want to order another box of them as half of the bits had some manufacturing defects(weirdly shaped defective heads ) the rest which looked good also performed good,maybe just a bad batch..
    either way after a new set of at least 10 , pz2 -50mm bits

What's the best out there at the moment that is reasonably priced? Not more than £1/each in a box let's say? I have seen some wera promos for their hi-end bits but at £5+ each I will feel too guilty when they get destroyed, so would rather not.
    P.S I do not need just another box of impact driver bits, I need something better than the milwaukee ones so maybe anyone have tested few brands and can let us in on the secrets? :D

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Even normal screwdriver bits i have bought seem very weak. Bought a Dewalt set and not happy with them,

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Dewalt impact bits are apparantly good.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I get my bits from toolstation, a bag of 100 is less than £8 and they last as well as any other bit I have used.

longboat likes this.
  5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I've had luck with the erbauer bits they are funny, some last a day and some last week's. The dewalt ones are alright, again inconsistent with some lasting a few days and some lasting weeks

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

100 for £8.00 four years ago, still got plenty, often fixing birch ply to steel, pointless to spend more.

8. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

I've tried quite a few, and settle with DeWalt impact bits.

Are they the absolute best? Nope. I had the Wera impact bits at one point which I like, but they are the best balance of price and durability. For the price of a pack of 5 Wera impact bits, I can get 75 DeWalt impact bits, or there about. pound for pound, they seem to be the best value, and when they do chip or grind down, I just shrug and grab another from the box. I must easily get a year from a box of 25 DeWalt bits if not longer, and last time I bought them they were £5.99 in Screwfix.

9. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Wera impact bits, while good, are stupid money. For PZ2 I use the short Milwaukee impact bits (box of 25 for a fiver) and a Milwaukee magnetic bit holder. Last ages and I tend to swap them out well before they have worn out. Most of the time I use Torx though.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I use Impaktor ones , pricey but do last

11. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Well After few recommendations on here I had bought a pack of those super-good 5 dewalt impact bits..
    My thoughts- they are the same **** as the milwaukee , but I think the milwaukee bits which were molded correctly and made as they should lasted me much longer than the dewalt ones so I would rate them BELOW the milwaukee that is if milwaukee had any sort of quality control.
    I have already used up 4 of those dewalt bits, with each bit probably doing less than 100 screws... pathetic..

I have now ordered one were impaktor small bit for £1.5 to test it out and see if they are any better, not going to waste money ordering large package before testing one.

12. GoodwithWood

I don't understand. I've had probably 100 Milwaukee bits in various packs and sizes. NEVER had one that was poorly molded,. Not a single one. Just wondering if you have had some counterfeit bits or something?

You also seem to burn through them much quicker than most of us. That seems odd too. What driver are you using and what materials?

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have used a lot of Milwaukee Shockwave pozi bits, never had a bad one.

14. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I got a selection of the impaktor ones after Sospan's recommendation, and they are by far the best bits I have used in the impact. Not abused any yet so I'll have to see when they get used all day for framing or something heavy going, but I'd recommend them too.

I used the makita bits for years in my impact, then got the eauber ones which were just as good IMO. Would not go back to either now. The impaktor ones are my go to now.

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Impaktor my favourite, shame you can only get them single, carded, or in boxes of 20's, not 50's.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    Joe95 likes this.
  16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

+1 on Dewalt pozi bits.

I went through a few pozi bits with my new Impact driver, bought a pack of these, they've been pretty good and for only a fiver or so!

[​IMG]

17. GoodwithWood

I've had some of those in the past for general screwing applications but I don't think they are impact rated from what I remember.

18. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Well impact rated or not, they've been excellent value for money. Lasted longer than some other impact rated bits and 25 of them for only £6, think I've gone through just 2.

19. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Well my wera Impaktor bit I bought has weared down as well after not much use at all, ok slightly better than the dewalt bits and it still kinda works - but it's chewed up and should be thrown away- ordered a pack of 25dewalt bits for £4 so will just treat them as disposibles. certainly a dewalt bit at £0.16 a piece seems much better value than the Impaktor at £1.6 each since the wera seems to last only a bit longer, certainly not even 2x longer! at least the dewalt bits shattered once they were done so you know it's done..

the impact driver I'm using
    http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/mak...ushless-cordless-impact-driver-body-only#gref
    so they don't have easy life with me and would probably last me much longer if I were to stick to regular drill driver but what fun is that...

20. ToolNerd

ToolNerd New Member

best value for money I got was with Makita impact gold, 2 for around £4, I prefer using the 50mm type instead of the shorter ones with bit holder
    Definitely not, my company bought a box of those and broke like cheese, up to 7 in a single day of cladding