God. Lets talk

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by koolpc, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Very brave of you to start this thread, Kools, as it's a subject I enjoy discussing very much.

JoT has already taken you to task for the way you've painted some unbelievers, the irony being that you were calling for 'respect' when your religious views were diss'ed on another thread recently.

Let me make one thing clear from the offset - I am as firm in my atheistic convictions as you claim to be in your RofC belief. And I have reason and evidence to back up my view. So take this as read - there is nothing you can say that will offend me personally on this issue, so no need to check your comments - you can let them fly if you wish. But I doubt you will c'os you ain't a nasty bloke.

Sooooo, where do we start with this malarkey? What I like to do when faced with a person of faith who is chomping to discuss the issue is to find out what level of loon (SORRY! MY BAD!) er, I mean, believer I am dealing with.

I mean, atheists have it easy; if it ain't evidence-based, then we won't claim it to be accepted truth.

For peeps of faith, it varies depending on who you are talking to, 'cos 'faith' has so many levels, sooo many variations.

So, to get to know you better, Kools, could you explain where you 'are' on this gawd scale malarkey?

1) Are you a creationist?
    2) Do you believe in purgatory?
    3) Why are you a catholic and not one of almost countless other religions?
    4) Why yahweh and not one of over one thousand other gawds?

That will do for starters.

Please feel free to ask me ANYTHING on this issue of me - I will do my honest best to answer.

2. Ok, if there is a god, or is there more than 1?

Why do 2 religious countries/people fight wars? They cant both be right!

Bring some proof to the table

3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Good question and one you 'always' see asked.

God created us. He gave us free will. Does He get involved? Maybe he does at times but why should he? If life was 100% perfect, no wars, no famine, no disasters etc etc then we would not need a God to turn to. God wants us to believe in him, to love him via faith. Even at the horriblest points in life, we should, as believers, be turning to God. To praise Him, love Him. Why should he make life 100% perfect?

Adam and Eve failed. Life was perfect but they sinned. Thus setting us on our journey. A journey that 'man' chose to go on.

4. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Is your god working for you?

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

There is a difference between religious and spiritual. A lot of religious people are not spiritual and a lot of spiritual people are not religious.

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

1. I believe that God started everything. He got the whole thing going. He pressed the green button for GO! Science is amazing! God started it all.

2. Purgatory? Yes: Says it all here:

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/purgatory

3. Catholic because my parents were. So, i had a good start! Look, i went away from my faith for 20 years!!! I still came back! I know why you asked this. Thing is, God will always lead you back to him. Many religious people have switched faiths. But at the end of the day, we 'all' believe in God. Protestants, Anglicans, Muslims, Catholics........We all believe in God.

4. There is only one God. 1,000s of others as you know are just untruths. Christianity has been around for 2,000 years with one God. Others have 'come and gone'.

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Why do 2 political parties fight even though they both have the same ideal? They can't be both right?

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

DA would never beleive in God, as far as he's concerned there can only be one super being and he's is it. :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Very true

10. Far easier to reply. They generally have opposing view points over what is best for their fellow man. Who is right is a viewpoint, not a matter of faith.

You avoided the question, please answer it

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

One of my neighbours is deeply religious, during the week several visits and Sundays at least two visits to church. However, she is one of the nasties most uncaring person I know. Follows very few of the Christian ideals.

12. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

So Kool, don't leave us hanging. What do you reckon?

13. Phil the Paver

Though I don't believe in God, if there was such a thing, he/her/it would have to allow people to die, otherwise we would be over run in no time, people have to die to allow people to live, its just nature.

koolpc likes this.
  14. Phil the Paver

Isn't that the same with religion.

koolpc likes this.
  15. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I gave you a good reply. What makes a muslim have a better faith than a Christian etc?

Christianity is from God. It was at the very beginning with Jesus. Christianity 'IS' Jesus

16. So innocent kids born with life threatening issues, but rapists and murderers get to live?

I agree life has to end/continue, but that demonstrates he isnt caring if he is there.

Prefer Darwins idea

17. If that is your best answer, then your faith is just a crutch.

Catholics are right are they? Muslims arent? Buddhists?

Those living the truest line is probably the reverse order of those 3.

How about that for a debating point?

18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

It demonstrates that God has given us free will. Why should He intervene?

19. 1) Ok, when did gawd 'start everything'? And, where did gawd come from?
    2) Why isn't purgie in the bible, and why did you have to pay for it from around the middle ages?
    3) Would you still have been a catholic had you been born in the middle east to a devout mulsim family?
    4) How do you know there is only one gawd - what evidence do you have other than chust claiming it. ('Cos you should know b y now that simply claiming summat -even if your name is Phil - means bluggerall).

20. Phil the Paver

The Big boat was built by aliens from the planet ifyoubeleivethisshityourmental a couple of days before Jesus popped his head up.