God. Lets talk

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by koolpc, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Do you think it is? I dont

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Did i state that 'Catholics' were right? NO! I said 'Christians' Keep up will you! :p

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

No good asking me that, I don't believe.

4. Dont both those lot believe in the same god thing?

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

There many that think the Bible has to be taken absolutely literally. Word for word. As you know, Jesus spoke in parables, why:

Mark 4:10-13
    10 And when he was alone, those who were about him with the twelve asked him concerning the parables. 11 And he said to them, “To you has been given the secret of the kingdom of God, but for those outside everything is in parables; 12 so that they may indeed see but not perceive, and may indeed hear but not understand; lest they should turn again, and be forgiven.” 13 And he said to them, “Do you not understand this parable? How then will you understand all the parables?

This i believe is the same with the Bible.

6. A parable is just an analogy , nothing more, nothing less

7. Phil the Paver

Maybe she knows that and goes to church for some sort of forgiveness.

Deleted member 164349 likes this.
  8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Could be. Look at me for example, an adulterer! And i go to church!!!!!!

Mark 2:17
    17 And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick; I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”

9. Phil the Paver

My view is Churches are amazing building that have some wonderful architectures but more than that, if you as a person can go to that building with a troubled mind, after praying or whatever, you leave that building untroubled that can only be a good thing.

This though is purely mind over matter, you have made yourself feel better about yourself, no invisible being or force has intervened.

gadget man and Joe95 like this.
  10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Very correct and true.

One can enter in a terrible state and then be uplifted afterwards if only for a short time. One has to experience it.

11. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Saying that, I would also have to chip in, I have visited various churches when I'm on holidays just to see the magnificent workmanship and skill put into them. Churches can be some of the best buildings for both architecture and historic methods.

longboat and Phil the Paver like this.
  12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Agree. Awesome places. Some more 'spiritual' than others. Sometimes one gets all goose pimples in some places.

13. I thought a church was actually the people not the building.

But i do like to look at the architecture

14. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Personally I think a persons beliefs are down to them and what they choose. I do not practice the religion I was brought up in, but can see why people do. Giving hope and something to rely on during tough times is just one of them.

I do however think that religious organisations such as the diosis of Westminster are much like a business. They 'ask' for 'donations' which are not really donations, but expected payments from members of a parish. With business like hierarchies too.

15. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

So why not just let good, caring, loving people die of old age, and the scumbags who murder people, lead bad lives etc be weaned out....

16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

That i very true. The church is the body of Christ. The building 'Church' is where we worship, to give praise etc. Much like Jesus did when visiting a temple.

17. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Yes, i agree with you.

Thing is, all religions have to be like businesses as they have bills to pay etc.

18. Phil the Paver

Absolutely, every time I visit a new place, if its got a big church or cathedral I spend ages looking at it in detail.

This is the ceiling of Warwick Church.

IMAG0044.jpg

19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

A thought we all think about. Who knows the mind of God?

20. So you should be uplifted by those around you, just like everybody is uplifted by the company of friends.

Doesnt matter what building you are in