Paying for company van ??

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by eVo Roofing, Dec 23, 2016.

1. eVo Roofing

eVo Roofing New Member

Hi,
    I've been roofing for 8 years now on the books. For the last 4 years I've been with a labourer in my own van. Last week my boss asked me if I wanted to use one of his vans as mine isn't right for the job anymore. He told me I would have to pay £30 a week to use this van.
    I spoke to another roofer and he told me as I'm on the books I shouldn't pay to use a company van.
    Should I have to pay to use a company van??

Many thanks Andy

2. Is it for using it for private use, or for work use?

3. stu1312

stu1312 Member

If it's for private use and you don't pay the tax man will screw you as its then a taxable benefit.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would say no.

The expectation for most people "on the books" is that you travel to your place of employment and then travel from their to a customers site. So it should be up to you how you do the first leg and your employer the second. If your employer says that you must travel from home to the customers site directly - then it is his responsibility.

It would not be unreasonable for an employer to make request a payment for any private usage you have. However, you would have to mention this to HMRC to avoid them taking additional cash from you.

There is a whole insurance and liability issue with what your boss is trying to achieve as you would effectively be hiring a vehicle from him which has all sorts of implications for you both

Astramax likes this.
  5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

£120 a month seems a bit much for a second hand van that has no doubt been thrashed to death.
    Depends what type of van you need, surely cheaper to buy one on tick. Looking on the net looks like you can get a brand new transit for a couple of hundred a month, ( http://www.vanarama.co.uk/vehicles/ford-transit-custom-270-l1-diesel.html )no idea what the catch is if any, but certainly worth looking around at new or low mileage vans if yours is no longer suitable.
    Is he paying for servicing, mot, tax tyres, insurance etc if so might be reasonable but you need to do your sums.;)