Halfords 3 year battery

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by tore81, Dec 30, 2016.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Long story short van battery light came on.

Thought I'd check in Halfords as I bought the battery from there a few years back definetly under 3 years within warranty.

So shop attendant tests battery 12v there but the Amps were quite a bit lower.

So I then point out saying well it's definetly within the three years. And point out it says on the battery Halfords. He then says he has to ask his boss. Comes back says no!

I then say ok can I spk to the gaffer, the attendant seems a bit shady as I have no doubt that this has happend before.

I ask the manager and explain that I have no receipt paid cash and this was an exchanged battery. The other one was a piece of **** too but definetly within the three years. He then says have a look online or for receipt, otherwise come back week end. Bit confused why weekend makes a difference!! I then asked surely there is a date on the battery and he said no they have nothing to link it to.

Check on the net and apparently they have date codes. Any thought on my next step lol.

Surely they are selling these batteries under false pretences as a car battery these days can last up to ten years. So they must be *****.

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

You should of course, keep the receipt, showing the date of purchase (but who does?) This is the way they get out of stumping up for a new battery. Almost no one is going to keep the receipt.

tore81 likes this.
  3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

They got there name written all over the battery it's a joke.

And they lied saying no date on the battery.

There is just under a code. that stinks lol

4. If you were able to show proof of purchase, they'd have swapped it instantly I am pretty sure.

However, they are grasping at straws since you don't have this bit of paper. I have no doubt that it can be shown to be under 3 years old - it will almost certainly have a manufacturing date on it - and this should be enough.

But it's gonna take a bit of staying power to get them to change their mind.

Are you entitled to a replacement? Yes, absolutely. If the battery is less than three years old and came with this warranty, then it's an open and hut case - regardless of whether you have that bit of paper.

Even without their 'warranty' I believe you could claim it wasn't of satisfactory quality, or was inherently faulty at the time of purchase.

If this were a more expensive purchase, you could easily go the smallclaims route - you pay them for a replacement and then sue them. But hardly worth it for a £60 item?

So, what to do? Find out on-line where the date stamp is and how to interpretate it. Armed with this you go back (at the weekend!) and you behave very calmly and reasonably.

You tell them "This is a good quality Bosch battery which came with a 3-year warranty. It was manufactured on the xyz. It has failed within that period. Under the terms of the CR Act of 2015 it is not of 'satisfactory quality' or must have been sold with an inherent fault which has chust manifested itself. Ergo I am entitled to a replacement. Thank you very mush...."

They will claim this and that and receipts and bar locks.

Wait until they stop talking and then repeat what you said before. Do it in an even calm voice. With a friendly - but not smug - smile on your face.

You can add "Yes, I understand you would ideally like a receipt, but the onus is actually on you to prove it wasn't faulty when supplied."

blah blah blah

Repeat.

They'll capitulate :)

5. Are you saying you have found the date code? When was it manufactured?

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The date code on the battery will only show how old the battery is, not when you bought it, having said that if its still under 3 years old it should be changed under the warranty.

The fact it shows 12volts just shows it hasn't got a dead cell, but its all about amps.

Batteries on car don't last as long these days as they are working harder than ever running all the electronics car have nowadays.

tore81 likes this.
  7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Receipt is what you need

tore81 likes this.
  8. Phil the Paver

I had similar with Euro car parts on a catalytic converter for a car.

2 years warranty but no receipt, they tried to say I could have bought it anywhere, until I pointed out it was their own brand so highly unlikely.
    Made them check all sales around the time I thought I bought it, low and behold it was there in black and white so to speak.
    One new cat. :):)

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Altenator does all the work supplying current, battery is only for starting & supplying extra when power draw is above alternator output, or car is sat idle.

And a car battery should show 12.6v fully charged & 13.6v to 14.7v when engine running.

Deleted member 164349 likes this.
  10. Phil the Paver

Not at all, not even in law.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  11. The guarantee is only valid to the purchaser, its quite clearly on their terms.

You could have bought the vehicle with the batery on it, but it doesnt mean you inherit the guarantee.

They are within their rights to ask for reasonable proof of purchase. A receipt, a credit card or bank statement etc.

Was the battery tested after a full charge? A flat battery canot be tested, it needs a charge. The test is simply to see if the battery can hold its charge and how it discharges.

In fairness to them there batteries are of a good make.

A faulty battery will normally fail very soon in its life or last a fair term. Unusual to fail after 2 years etc.

12. Phil the Paver

Not sure what your point is.

An alternator won't start the engine.

Having 12 volts is no guarantee that it will be any good , you need cranking amps and lots of them for a diesel engine.

13. The original post said the battery light came on.

No such thing, its an alternator charge indicator

14. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

2 batteries have failed within both Halfords make under two years. This was a replacement for the last one hence no receipt.

15. Your original purchase is the date that applies then, so the original receipt would have been returned to you.

16. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

On a car forum decent batteries can last up to ten years. Just what I've read o have no knowledge on this.

17. Phil the Paver

And what you telling me that for. I know about these things, mine 1st job was a mechanic as was my dad, i rebuilt a crossflow engine when i was 12 and have worked on every vehicke i ever owned including 7,5 ton lorries.

I admit to being out of touch with modern electronics on vehicles today and don't own diagnostics equipment, but have pretty much ever other tool required to work on vehicles, motorcycles included.

18. 10 years is a very good life for a battery.

I would think between 5 and 7 would be normal expectancy

tore81 likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just read first post, your problem is alternator not charging battery.

20. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

member: 164349"]Your original purchase is the date that applies then, so the original receipt would have been

Recently I've exchanged a faulty drill from Screwfix and had another 3 years guarantee also.

Is that just good service by screwfix

Surely they are claiming this item should last longer than three years.