best way to fill this?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by deanomc, Jan 7, 2017.

1. deanomc

deanomc Member

I had some windows installed but have a small gap at the top of the frame where they meet the roof. What is the best way to fill this so it meets regs. DSC_1681[1].jpg Windows are aluminium.

cheers DSC_1680[1].jpg DSC_1682[1].jpg

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Awkward that. Get the fitters back is the first knee jerk response, window is mismeasured, or your bricklayer can't read a tape measure. I would go about sourcing some 20mm 'add on' bead the same colour and profile as the Windows, you'll need to get in touch with the window manufacturers for this, also some 200mm capping board the same colour. You'll have to make a frame up out of the plastic bead components in the shape of the triangle, and lift it up and slot it in from the outside. The ribs on the head will slot into the grooves on the head of the window frame, and once the edges are sealed with clear silicone, it won't go anywhere. I would keep the capping board flush with the frame though, not glued on proud of it, otherwise it'll stick out like a sore thumb. At least on the outside, inside is less visible.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sloppy work, could have been thought out in a better way.

Window could have shorter in height, looks totally loss, up against white trim, looks like a bit of bodge job!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG]
    Here in this photo,you can see how they have definition, & seperated the window from the roof line ,it's not cramp.
    The way it's been done actually enhances the overall appearance I reckon.:)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Can't understand why the window wasn't made up right to the top of the angle!!!
    Less work than stopping and coming across horizontal, for frame and glass!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

This is often inevitable as the window manufacturers generally can't form acute angles due to the design of the mitreing machines.

Designer issue! Best way round is a bit of studwork: the outside is rendered.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can't blame the window manufacturer for cock up.

8. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Not a cock up if they can't make it!! You would however hope they said something first: if they didn't then that is out of order.

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

But plain three sided triangular windows can be made mate, so why couldn't this one? Looks roughly around a 20' pitch on the roof. The manufacturers will(should) make it to the fitters measurements. Not rubbishing your idea but i think render would highlight the top of the window more than trying to blend it in with the same colour pvc material.

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Was the window made for another house and used in yours by mistake or because it was a bargain price?

11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I'd be more worried about the state of the block work, what's going on in the apex

2017-01-08 14.59.25.jpg

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Bit of a mess but I guess it's for compression. And it's to be rendered.

Someone designed that angle and got the build(either the window or the blockwork) wrong. I suspect the window and can't think of a good reason to have the window made like that.

A small lintel instead of those 3 grey bricks would have been better, made to follow along and cut to the shape of the angle. Then clad to match window or render it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

KIAB likes this.
  13. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

looks to me like the cavity finishes about level with top of window, which suggests the window is correct.
    Get a bit of aluminium sheet powder coated same colour as windows insulate behind and finish as normal

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Window manufacture should be able to supply filler pieces. section but would need cutting on site. Could take 6-8 weeks to power coat as is isn't standard RAL colour, unless you get standard white and spray yourself with mixed can.

15. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

All the dicking around to connect filler pieces etc, would a new properly measured one not be worth going for for peace of mind??