Door hinge jigs

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by neibick76, Jan 8, 2017.

1. neibick76

neibick76 Member

I have been toying with the thought of getting one for a while. I use the good old chissel Method.

I have the hand router so need the jig. Seen the trend ones at near £200. But it is not every day I do doors.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

AlvyChippy likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Have got the trend jigs for when refurbing rental properties (hmo's) so usually a minimum of 6/7 fire doors to fit. Really speed the job up, especially the lock jig...great bit of kit :)

4. Doall

Doall Active Member

Got both myself but only tend to use it when replacing frames as well as doors good bit of kit but if just replacing doors then I'll use hammer and chisel

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If I have a run of door hanging coming up I will make make a jig but for a one off it's a chisel.

CGN likes this.
  6. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Trend hinge jig user and lock jig makes the job so much quicker and easier. Just a thought on refurbs in rentals make sure you don't hit an embedded screw left in the frame when the door was ripped off it's hinges by a returning drunk. Not a good thing for the router to catch!

CGN and Joe95 like this.
  7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

My worktop, hinge, lock and various other jigs are all Trend. They are overpriced, but all made to a very high standard.
    Jig certainly speeds things up.

CGN likes this.
  8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

And Planers :rolleyes:

GoodwithWood and vivaro man like this.
  9. Mattcee

Mattcee Member

Do you guys know if a Makita DRT50 cordless trimmer works ok with the Trend hinge kit?
    The Trend website says its incompatible???

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Makita DRT50 use their own type of bush fixing & doesn't have base drilled to take usual Trend guide bushes, whether the two part threaded bushes would work I don't know.
    Got caught with same issue with the Bosch GKF 600 trimmer, so had to fit a Uni Base, & use two part treaded bushes.

11. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

I have the corded version of this trimmer and works fine with the trend hinge jig, you need to buy makitas own 16mm guide bush that's what's required for the trend jig, obviously you also need the plunge adapter for the trimmer

Make sure you buy the extra long shank 12mm cutter

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I find it so annoying all these different guide bushes,& the incompatibility between them, I've just order Katsu 101748 Trimmer to use with my hinge jig, it's is a clone of the Makita RT0700 trimmer,& the optional SP10174805 Katsu trimmer plunge base has the threaded holes for using Trend bushes, & fixings for using Makita bushes.

[​IMG]

13. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

As it comes to templates Trend is one of the better makes, routers- do avoid as black plague! Shambolic DIY range of "tools"

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A lot of their range is overpriced in my view.

Jord86 likes this.
  15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

And mine. And I don't know if it's changed now but I hated the idea of knocking two bradawls in to secure the jig, fine if door to be painted but on hardwood you're left with unsightly holes, which is a no no for me, yet the general consensus seemed to be to fill it with wax and forget.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

But, if your clever, I drilled new securing holes in my jig, still use bradawls for securing, the holes are now covered by the door stop.:)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  17. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Oh overpricing- absolutely! ;)

18. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

I thought about ( hinge jig) but I Mark using the hinge and a knife. Then take it to depth using a trim router by eye. Chop the ends then drill with a vix bit(trend). Wedge in with glazing Packers mark the frame. Linings sink with the router same as the door(same fence setting btw) casings chisel by hand!
    Latches drill and chisel. Morticed locks I use a souber but you must use a fast corded drill! Tried it with a cordless nearly ripped the door off!
    Jb