Do I need hinge tite screws for butt hinges

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by lemonade, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If - IF a bugle head fits the hole better and flush, or IF the d-countersink fits the hole and flush, WHY would it be bad practice to use them?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Who mentioned bad practice apart from you, it isn't best practice but that is a different thing.

3. Mr. Handyandy

So advising the use of them ISN'T wrong!

At last you admit you were wrong.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You realy have no idea what a huge manopausal idiot you have become.

malkie129 likes this.
  5. Mr. Handyandy

I think you are talking about yourself.

It is in black and white.

I suggested something. You said my advice was wrong. Then you admit that it is not.

Loser.

gadget man likes this.
  6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

No I didn't, this is all inside your head, how you interpret other peoples words is up to you but all your solutions other than drilling a bigger hole, which would involve re grinding the drill to another angle, were wrong.

7. Mr. Handyandy

No.

Using a different countersink screw may work(fit the hole better).
    That is CORRECT. You have admitted that while NOT bad practice, it isn't wrong.
    What's your problem?

And this shows how thick you are. Where did I say drill a new sized countersunk hole? With a different angle?

I didn't.

Drill the hole in the bottom of the countersink bigger to allow the bottom of the screw countersink to go down lower.

I never said anything about changing countersink hole angles or regrinding drill-bits.

You are making it up to get out of the 'own' hole you have dug for yourself.

Now there's a good chap.

Drop it, before you get so deep you can't get out(may be too late).

Twit. Astounding naivety.

8. Doall

Doall Active Member

When's the wedding you two

CGN likes this.
  9. Mr. Handyandy

I was thinking more like 'welding' something shut!

gadget man likes this.
  10. BuilderCol

BuilderCol New Member

Hilarious.

Looks like I've joined a great forum!!

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You are changing my words to suit your non-answers.
    On post #16 you suggested using a double countersunk screw or a bugle headed screw or if that failed drilling out the hinge, on post #8 you stated that Philips headed screws have a different countersink angle.
    None of these are the correct answer as that is to get the correct gauge of screw to match the countersunk hole.
    You can put a screw in with a hammer but this doesn't make it correct.
    BTW do you have a predilection for water sports too

12. Mr. Handyandy

That is what YOU said.

So I mentioned bad practice because YOU were making out that it is wrong(and that would be bad practice).

But YOU said "it isn't best practice"

So even the most stupid person will conclude that it is not wrong and not bad, according to YOU.

Only you(that most stupid person) can't even see what you yourself are saying!

'Here lies 'Chippie Sawdust'

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What you should do is use the correct screws to match the hinges, all your advice was to use the wrong screws and bodge it.
    People are coming on this site to get professional advice not some handy man lash up delivered by an increasingly hysterical hormonal harridan.

14. Mr. Handyandy

The correct professional advice would be to use the screws supplied with the part, would it not?

However, the first thing YOU do is throw them away and use your own(if it makes any difference, I throw them away if they are slotted).

So don't talk to me about correct professional advice.

The correct way is to use the screws supplied.

But if they don't sit flush, you find some that do. Simple. Proper advice.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

gadget man likes this.
  15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You use the correct screw for the hinge.
    The supplied screws are usually made down to a price and should be thrown away as generally they will either round out or snap.
    That is all, no need to mess around trying to bodge things, just use the correct screw for the job.
    Now why did you have to make such a song and dance about such a simple thing?
    Perhaps you should ask your GP about HRT :)

16. Mr. Handyandy

screws.jpg

It's not difficult. Are these not different shaped countersinks?
    Would no.1 fit a countersunk hole drilled for no.2, for example.
    Probably not.
    Answer: if you've got a screw like no.1 and it doesn't sit flush, try a screw like no.2.
    That's all.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

gadget man likes this.
  17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You have answered yourself again.
    Hardware is countersunk for screw 2, screw 1 is designed to self countersink in wood and screw 3 is designed for plasterboard.
    You recommended using screw 1 and 3.

18. Mr. Handyandy

Now you are being God over manufacturers. Screw no.2 is single countersunk, do ALL manufacturers drill out hardware matching this screw? Do THEY know to?

If not, you might have to go find another screw. This is what I've been saying from the start.

Anyway, the shortest answer is, if it doesn't fit, get one that does.(use screw 1 or 3 if it fits)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm not being god over manufacurers, there are agreed standards, you know that 88 on the top of a bolt, it means it's made to an agreed standard, you know that CE mark or BSI it means it's made to a certain standard
    In Europe they do all use the same ISO standard countersink, just how stupid and pigheaded can you be? It's like asking if all Kilo bags of flour weigh the same and how do they know.
    The double countersunk screw is to self countersink in wood and the bugle head is for plasterboard so no one will wake hardware countersunk to those specs.
    You know that EU you hate, they set standards so that everyone manufaturing for that market follows the same standards.
    This is all pretty basic stuff but it seems to have flown over your bald, too close to the ground head.
    The answer is, if your screwhead isn't flush then go down a gauge. :)

20. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Give it a sharp tap with a hammer

gadget man likes this.