Do I need hinge tite screws for butt hinges

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by lemonade, Jan 6, 2017.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Wouldn't really work, you haven't got your head round this whole fitting, fixing thing have you?

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

See what you did there. How about putting the head in first? Then it will be hidden and very difficult to pull out!

3. Mr. Handyandy

Funny you should say that(here it comes).

Nails are generally countersunk, maybe not called that, but generally they will be slightly rounded under the head to aid sinking flush to the wood the are banged into. So in a way, countersunk.

Strange but true(sure chippie won't accept that).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

gadget man likes this.
  4. BuilderCol

BuilderCol New Member

Wow. This is still going...

5. Doall

Doall Active Member

They admire each other deep down really me thinks

6. BuilderCol

BuilderCol New Member

You mean like one of those romantic films where the bloke and woman hate each other but by the end of the film they're in love and everyone knows it except them and they all live happily ever after and have kids

7. Doall

Doall Active Member

Something like that lol bless them

8. Mr. Handyandy

That'll be after I've been to Jupiter and back!

Doall likes this.
  9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You missed the bus/spaceship, Jono was launched way back.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Oh dear. How sad. Never mind!

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

o_Oo_Oo_O
    Is that an option?
    I presume by your change of tack that you realise that you were sadly lacking in knowledge about the subject in question.

12. Mr. Handyandy

You still going on?

What change of tack?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You suddenly seem to have realised you were totally in the wrong with the advice that you gave the OP, which was due to your lack of knowledge, and have started being jovial instead of calling me a "so called carpenter" and a ****.
    I will take this as an admission you accept you were wrong :cool::cool:

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ha ha ha bloody amazing post .....

Been there before with you two stubborn old goats :p

Would be excellent if you two ever meet in real life ..... either this life or another one ....... over to you now kools ........:eek:

It's like in a relationship (married or otherwise) you have a little disagreement

You both think that your right and the other is 'obviously' wrong

Neither side will budge an inch (old imperial saying) (still allows post brexit) ?

Both sides come up with increasingly complex and indepth arguments to further state their case

Starts off as an intelegent, cohesive and polite 'discussion'

After several rounds of backwards and forwards arguments, with neither side gaining ground, the pace and impetus increases, along with the style of language and stubourness

Both sides are now even more convinced that they are indeed the only person correct in their argument and the other person, is indeed a moron

Sensible discussion, politeness and common decency quickly goes out the window, whilst the venom and anger, boarderline hatred (temporary - maybe) increases ten fold

At this stage, you may want to either batter them (not really, honest) kiss and make up or, **** their brains out - also known as making up (out)

Not sure what would be the best option for you 2 ........ :D

longboat likes this.
  15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That's fair enough and I do chuck in a bit of stuff to wind HA up when he wont accept what is staring him in his face.
    If I see that I am wrong I hope that I would hold my hands up and admit it.
    I'm not angered by what he says, it amuses me.
    I've blocked Kools, he's just an idiot and I don't see what he posts.
    Handy did admit at the end that he was wrong.
    The flutes on decking discussion was meant to be just that but the lack of joined up thinking made it deteriorate quickly.

wiggy likes this.
  16. Mr. Handyandy

Handy did NOT admit he was wrong, because he isn't.

It stares YOU in the face, but you don't see it. If the type of screw doesn't fit, use a different type. A smaller one may not do!

The way I see it, it's offering advice to a layman(you assume they don't know the answer because they are asking). If it isn't your trade, all you know you may need some 4mm screws. You do know that no.8 screws are equivalent, so you go and buy some. It actually says 'double-countersunk'. This means nothing to a layman. You get the screws, they don't sit flush.

What's the answer?

It stares me in the face, why doesn't it you?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's not the type of screw it's the gauge.
    Untill I told you yesterday you didn't realise that all screws and fittings were drilled to the same standard so you really shoud be zipping it.
    You would have to search out double countersunk screws and pay a premium for them, the normal screw that you buy in a shed isn't double countersunk
    The OP had the usual fudge screws supplied by the manufacturer and they didn't fit
    I also assumed it was giving advice to a layman and the advice I would give would be to buy the correct screw rather than trying to bodge with the wrong screw, you have also said this yourself several times.
    What stares me in the face is that you are out of your depth and splashing around helplessly.

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I will try and keep the personal out in future :(

19. Mr. Handyandy

So tell me why they didn't fit chippie.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I already have twice but you were too busy talking instead of listening.

Joe95 likes this.