Female Carpenters

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by BlackWidow, Jan 15, 2017.

1. BlackWidow

BlackWidow New Member

This bothers me.
    Why do people not trust female carpenters?
    We can work just as hard, lift just as good, do the job just as well as men..
    But for some reason, potential customers will choose men over us. Just because.........
    Yes I belong in the kitchen, but not to cook.
    It's demotivating as well as upsetting..

#MorningRant

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Now't wrong with females, known a few sparks,plumbers,painter, chippys & plasterer who was very good,if they can do the trade,then I don't see the problem, but sadly there still seems to be a stigma with firms & customers to females in the trades.:(
    Use to be a huge shortage of fillys in the building years ago, don't know if this is still the case today.

BlackWidow likes this.
  3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Are you sure it's not just your attitude?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek::eek:

Definitely not, seen a bloke who was having a house built, he flew off the deep end, (things got very heated,ended up with police coming,he spent weekend in custody) when he found a female plasterer on the job, but she was very good,perfectly level plaster, a pleasure to watch, & I mean skill with a trowle, so don't get the wrong idea you lot.

BlackWidow likes this.
  5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

In my town there's a female chippie, she is flat out with work.

Use social media to advertise yourself, she on a local Facebook trade type page, and is turning work away, due to being to busy.

BlackWidow and CGN like this.
  6. Phil the Paver

From behind while screening the floor.

You dirty old man. :D:D:D

7. BuilderCol

BuilderCol New Member

I taught carpentry and joinery for many years, there were maybe 1 or 2 female students each year out of maybe 45-60 students.

What they maybe lacked in brute force they made up for in attention to detail. And who needs brute force in any case? Never makes for a neat job, and the boys bravado often results in injury. I would have been pleased with groups of 50/50.

In my neck of the woods female trades are in demand, especially self employed. A lot of women on their own prefer a female to work in their house.

vivaro man and BlackWidow like this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very true.

I worked with a danish chippie on a old house,she made & fitted all the kitchen units, her attention to detail was second to none, & Freja was just as good doing a cut roof & dormers.:)
    Had the BCO turn up & he was rather complementary on the roof detail, but he was shocked & was rather taken a back to find the chippie was female.:D

BlackWidow and CGN like this.
  9. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Nothing wrong with a Female carpenter, they have Nails too.

BlackWidow likes this.
  10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Aye, but do they know the difference between a sloppy screw and a tight screw, and if the head fits, is it proud?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

BlackWidow likes this.
  12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Deary, deary me.o_Oo_O

13. Mr. Handyandy

Wonder how many of those jobs have been invented just so they can watch the lady working?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. Mr. Handyandy

You some kind of stalker mate!(statement - not question)

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Are you some kind of ******? Statement, not question.

16. Phil the Paver

As good as she is, she either married to a multi millionaire or she been doing this a lot longer than she says, a workshop with plasma cutters, tig welders etc, for a DIY novice?
    I don't buy it.

vivaro man likes this.
  17. Phil the Paver

????

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Not sure where she got the plasma cutter from etc. But most of the woodworking tools have come from Triton who sponsor her. Occasionally a viewer sends them some equipment.

19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I've seen a couple of her videos, whilst the carpenter purists would scream sacrilege, her end results seem excellent and that's what it's all about. The video of her building an external raised deck with stairs is very entertaining. People forget (including me, sometimes) that it really doesn't matter what the extent of your knowledge is, it's how you can teach that knowledge to best effect that is the kicker. And, as she's a girl, all the better.

vivaro man likes this.
  20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Are you a girl as well Jord?