Screwfix Price Match - the good and bad (well more mad)

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by sospan, Jan 18, 2017.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Some of you may not know that Screwfix has a Price match policy which is :

Thank you for your email regarding Price matching.

We work hard with our suppliers not only to get the highest quality products but also to get the lowest possible prices. At times, other companies may offer a similar product at a lower price, perhaps as part of a special promotion.

Unfortunately at this time, we are unable to offer price matching through the mail order side of our business and I apologise for any disappointment this may cause. However, our Trade Counters are now able to price match at store level providing certain criteria is met and the terms and conditions are as follows:

• Just let the Trade Counter know within 14 days of your order
    • Applies to all competitors within a 10 mile radius
    • The item must be packaged, sold as new and in stock at the competitors
    • The price must be available to all customers
    • Please provide us with some proof (invoice, catalogue, advert) ...alternatively we do have to obtain verbal confirmation from the competitor
    • Excludes Internet or mail order prices
    • Excludes competitor clearance events
    Which is good if you bought an expensive item and then find that the item is priced cheaper at one of the competitors. However, since there is no mechanism to reduce the prices, if it is a small difference, would you be bothered going back to a Screwfix store to get a refund or would you just think "won't buy that there again" and buy from the competitor instead ?

However, if you haven't bought the items yet, you have to collect all the price information, take the evidence to the store, the staff have to check items line by line against the competitor, argue that items are the same, then get a manager to authorise the discount, wait while the order is processed. Probably looking at around 30 minutes - or I could order online and collect from the competitor at the same price and without all the fuss.

Can you also imagine the effect on other customers in the store, If I heared a customer going through a list of items overhearing that the competitor is cheaper ?

I used to find the cost difference on a few items wasn't worth the time and effort to shop around for a few pence. However one item £19.99 at Screwfix £9.99 at a competitor and a £30 saving on an £85 basket

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That is something that annoys/infuriates me, you'll be suprise how much you can save, it can soon add up, especially on tools & many other things.

But, it does ocassionally work the other way, wanted a Drayton Pre setting key for adusting their trv's, costs around £17 or so, our host have them for £6:99p.:eek:

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Would depend on how much the saving is and if its worth the hassle. SF policy above seems reasonable. I nearly always check on SF, TS and Wickes since all are on the same route (SF being the furthest). Some items are only stocked by one or other store, sometimes there are different similar products (may be one is cheaper but its inferior in quality so depends whether its a better buy).

For big purchase items like tools I'll google it and do some research, have always ended up buying expensive stuff direct online from elsewhere.

Will be buying some radiators in a bit, screwfix stock the Kudox range which seem pretty good. Won't bother doing searches to save a penny here or there as the time just isn't worth it.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Kudox are still on offer I think, so buy sooner than later.:)

Got six here, I bought before Christmas ready to fit.

Joe95 and Dr Bodgit like this.
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I am spending over £600 a month on smaller items - screws, hinges,adhesives etc. and as you say trying to save a few pence here and there isnt' worth the effort which is why I just used Screwfix as the default but will now probably default to the competitor more and more.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There better deals online if you search.

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Buy a few bits a pieces from them, surprisingly when I wanted about a 100 cabinet hinges, Axminster of all places were the cheapest for Blum hinges

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

For Blum you may also want to try Isaac Lord ...

Joe95 likes this.
  9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Interesting never came across them before and didn't come up on a search. Pulled up the site now, it looks quite good.

Thanks

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very good Issac Lord.:)

Joe95 likes this.
  11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Used to live just over 10 miles away from them and go through High Wycombe a frequently
    and never came across them

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Blasphemy.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Certain companies do better on different things, all the above companies are good. Toolstation and ITS are worth a look.

malkie129 and KIAB like this.
  14. Pollowick

They have two branches in High Wycombe towards the West End of town - a shop which has been on Desborough Road for a long time and about 1/2 mile away is their trade counter which has a massive warehouse and stock behind it. Both locations have their own customer car parks and free coffee at the trade counter.

KIAB likes this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And their retail store isn't exactly small!:rolleyes:

upload_2017-1-19_9-23-41.jpeg

And with google mapping you can walk around the store.:eek:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl...d=0ahUKEwivwbe98M3RAhWJDsAKHfYkAIsQoB8IiAEwCg

16. Pollowick

Two floors - ground floor is a good general hardware store including screws and fixings. First floor is tools including an on-site repair shop for most major brands and not much (or very little) cheap and nasty tat!

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just wish they were closer to me.:(

18. Pollowick

Send me some cash and I will go in there tomorrow and spend it for you.

Joe95 likes this.
  19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Do u take monopoly money? :p

20. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

You can get some bits for me too!

Do you want my card number?...:D:D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    koolpc likes this.