Festool et al

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by CGN, Jan 29, 2017.

1. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Hi all

Thinking of taking the plunge :rolleyes: and investing in some new gear...namely a rail saw and a decent sander plus some other odds and sods! Its a case of investing and speeding up my work or giving it to the tax man, so a no brainer really.

I know a lot of you love and own festool equipment (new territory for me) so after a quick look, what do people think of this deal?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391657119885

Also considering a Mirka Ceros sander...thoughts?

Ta muchly :)

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

3. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Brought all my new kit around Christmas. CTL Midi, OF1400, TS55 & two 1400 rails, FS-Sys/2 Kit and a Rotex 150.
    Considering the HKC saw and 420 rail at the moment.

I'd say look at Nuts&Bolts, their customer service is top notch, got loads of advice and money of over half of the above on the phone.
    http://www.powertool-supplies.co.uk/

Oh, and something you should know, Festool seems to be addictive. I only wanted the extractor and rail saw.....here I am now....:rolleyes:

If your happy with 240 then you'll be fine, but if you get them in 110v then you're going to need a chunky transformer, I use a 3Kva cont. (not intermittent!) one when I have the extractor running too.

CGN likes this.
  4. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And try quidco,topcashback or others, might get to save a few more pennies.:)

CGN likes this.
  6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Thanks Joe...top man :)

I'll have to digest info later when I get home. Yes,240 or not 240? With corded tools, usually buy 110v, need to decide what's best and practical as never really go 'on site', but never know what future may bring!

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Plan for the future, saves buying twice.:)

CGN likes this.
  8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I buy everything in 110, because of the safety aspect. Plus it looks more professional when you rock up with 110.

Not interested in site work personally.

The 110 vs 240 argument will go on till the end of time:rolleyes:.

CGN and KIAB like this.
  9. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

110v loose a finger, 240v loose your life.
    The biggest bug bear for me with 110v is the transformer.

Joe95 and CGN like this.
  10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yes of course...safety aspect, which is why I usually buy 110. Did some very quick research regarding 110v festool, some people mentioned a few issues, but prob down to lack of grunt from transformer which Joe mentioned.

Any thoughts on Midka sander? Like the idea of external psu to keep weight down...

11. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I can tell you now the normal transformers, like this one, http://www.screwfix.com/p/portable-transformer-with-2-output-sockets-3kva/84144 , really do struggle to keep up when you're using the bigger tools with the extractor.
    I tried both the TS55 and OF1400 and they lose their grunt straight away.

I suppose the consideration is that you might need a bigger transformer and is it worth lugging it about.
    I used to carry my 5Kva one around, but that is ******* heavy considering you can't draw the full power from a normal socket anyway. Now I have a 3Kva 'heater' transformer, which is lighter, but still weights a whole lot more than the normal one.

The normal one I linked above will be fine if you aren't running the extractor.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I bought a 5Kw 110v transformers off Ebay at a very good price,some years ago, it has a single 32A & two 16A sockets, best thing I've bought in a while.
    The newer 5Kw transformers are now lighter compared to the older models.

wiggy and Joe95 like this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3Kva 'heater' transformer aren't exactly cheap.:eek:

The price of one, I could have bought three 5Kw transformers off Ebay, & still had some change left over for a pint or two.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262800355768?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELITE-T5K...725315?hash=item3d3109b703:g:cQAAAOSwhOdXoawP

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  14. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Good point. I've got two older metal transformers in the shed, and two newish transformers of the same rating (1.5Kva cont./3Kva intermittent) and there is a noticeable difference in the weight.

15. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

No they arn't, It was worth a fair bit more than a 5Kva at the time but it was and investment to save my back.
    The 2 stone less wight was worth it for me.

I have a 10Kva single phase that I was given a good few years ago, It lives on castors as that's the only way to move it. It weights more than ten stone:eek::eek:.

16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I have the 110v TS55. I did read some reviews about it not being powerful enough. Personally, I think this is because the TS55 often comes with the 48T blade, and this DOES bog down in some materials, but is obviously good for others. The 28T blade is the one to have if you are trimming door bottoms, etc.

Joe95 likes this.
  17. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Its like you need double kit, 110 for site work and some 240 for around the house when you just want do that quick job without the transformer and leads, although cordless would probably be enough

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Most of the work around house I can get away with cordless 18v kit nowadays, last time I used mains drill was about six years ago for a 40mm core through block wall.

19. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Cordless with the option of plugging in would be the best.

wiggy likes this.
  20. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I will use a handsaw at home rather than get all the **** out, chop saw, stand, transformer, leads