Chelsea Manning

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Harry Stottle, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Dare I ask now, btiw, now that you've witnessed the level of intellectual honesty and reasoning on the Trump thread, and can examine the country's representative Leavers on here - Phil, Mr Ha, JJ, Harry, Probes, Kools, etc - if my claim above might have some merit?

Deleted member 164349 likes this.
  2. proby

proby Active Member

You measure intelligence by academic qualifications you don't think the average man or woman in the street has the ability to reason for themselves that's a big mistake. What about the clergy mostly well educated with university degrees, remain voters? the head of the Church of England was. And yet they believe in a none existent being that created everything how's that for intelligence.

3. I don't. Not at all. Absolutely not.

I mainly measure intelligence by the ability to reason. To be rational. To examine evidence and then use you critical faculties to draw conclusions.

That is what 'intelligence' mostly means to me.

4. Agree, the difference between intelligence and academia

5. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

Dare away sir.
    I think (but I'm not sure) that you made a claim about the "average leaver voter".
    I don't think that members of the screwfix discussion forums are "average", i.e. not a representative sample.
    You submitted "Handyandy" to support your claim - but didn't Handyandy tell us that he didn't vote?
    So to support the claim about the "average leaver voter" you asked me to consider people who aren't average or necessarily even voters?

But really... I think you're just baiting me to be rude about people on this forum.
    Which is cool, but I'm more in the mood for arguing with Jack about "fractional-reserve banking". I never did pick up on why he has a problem with it.
    Was it he's against it entirely, in principle, in practice, in extent?
    I'm hoping he's one of those nuts that wants us back on the gold standard or that he wants us to all start using bitcoin.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.

6. Wow, dug that out from a while ago.

Not arguing against it. How many people understand it and realise how fragile it makes an economy though.

And acoordingly, do you have ANY money ? I don't, just debt :rolleyes:

7. proby

proby Active Member

Exactly and then we had a vote and reason prevailed. Not the loonys from both sides that get picked up my the media.

8. You call a 50/50 vote a overwhelming result ? I don't deny leave edged it. But it was not a convincing result was it

9. proby

proby Active Member

Wasn't 50/50 though was it, It was a democratic vote to leave. Would you be happy for another vote? What about another vote after that one.

10. proby

proby Active Member

And yet you always post that remainders are better educated.

11. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

I noticed it as an unusual topic and there exists crazy lunatics who feel strongly that we should be using gold and silver coins or their digital bitcoin equivalents.

I'm not going to argue that people should know less economics.

Strangely, I now wish I had gold and silver coins or their digital bitcoin equivalents.

12. That they are! :eek:

13. I probably did use the term 'average' Leave voter, by which I mean a 'typical' representative voter of that ilk.

So you don't think that the Leavers on here represent the typical Leave voter out on the streets of the UK? Hmmm, I fear I do. What I have witnessed on TV and in 'real' life quite closely resembles what I see on here, the main difference being that those on here have had much greater rein to spout all that they wished.

Their equivalents 'on the street' only manage to get as far as "It's the 'grants, innit. And cucumbers..."

Mr Ha claims he did not vote, but it's very clear where his loyalties lie. Roughly ten feet away from his brain. So I include him under 'typical Leaver'.

No, btiw, I am not trying to bait either you or the usual suspects on here - I can do that directly should I wish. I am simply trying to prove a point that I do have cause to believe.

I honestly think I have. And I am honestly astonished that you are still trying to defend the reasoning behind the 'average' Leave vote. Yes, they had their 'reasoning', but - no - it is not defensible.

Anyhoo, what the f'is fractional whatsits?

14. In general, they are.

And more critical, rational thinkers. And better informed.

Your point?

(If you have time, you can try any number of searches about the demography of Leave and Remain voters - their preferred reading materials, newspapers, their preferred brands even their chosen diets! It's quite enlightening and very amusing...)

15. proby

proby Active Member

But you don't measure intelligence on education you said? I think the last word on that post sums it up.

16. proby

proby Active Member

Obviously not.

17. In the scale of things and as history will call it.

It was pretty much 50/50.

Exit side edged it. Not overwhelming, at all

18. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

I may have opinions about the intellect of individuals, but a group?

You're asking me to be prejudiced about a huge group of people based nothing more than a box they ticked.

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Which is a shame, 'cos I'm reckless enough to think I'd come out of an intelligence judgement quite well. But there again thick people usually do think that so.... I best not judge.

Quick illustration. Say you spend £100 on your credit card. Where did the money come from? Barclaycard just "created" it. It's that kind of debate.

19. As you are constantly proving.

Look at your equivalents around you?

20. Look it up and get your head around it.

It will blow your mind open with questions when you get to grips with it.

See that money in your wallet ? It is ALL debt !