What is this hardwood?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by fostyrob, Jan 31, 2017.

1. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

As part of the renovation of the living room I was hoping to be able to match as best possible to the existing wood we have on the fire surround.

The house was built in 1900 but presume the fire place (now with wood burner) was installed at some later date.

The wood is some hardwood variety, pretty red to orange with a tight grain and no obvious knots.

upload_2017-1-31_10-21-46.png

upload_2017-1-31_10-22-53.png

upload_2017-1-31_10-23-21.png

Here's a picture with the flash which makes it look quite orange but I guess it gives an impression how it looks when the sun hits it.

upload_2017-1-31_10-24-20.png

The plan would be to match like for like or potentially get a similar looking wood and stain to match.

Obviously it is difficult to know how much of the colour is being derived from the wood itself and how much relates to the stain or varnish without chipping away at it. I was thinking of it potentially being something like sapele or utile but am happy to be educated/told otherwise.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A type of mahogany I reckon, not iroko, grain wrong.

upload_2017-1-31_10-38-47.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  3. Not really sure but looks like teak to me.

No, I think you are right, mahogany

4. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Difficult guess with the varnish, sapele I think is a bit redder.
    Best guess Iroko

iroko.jpg

5. I think you are probably right. Something in the Mahogany 'family', like Sapele as you say.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's not sapele.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  7. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Cheers guys- good to get a consensus!
    Will order a bit of sapele and see how we go

8. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Kiab- you changed your mind! From that picture I would agree with you. It seems there is so much variation!

It looks almost identical to the picture you put up Wiggy but all other pictures of iroko don't seem to match.

Worthwhile getting some cheap meranti and using stains?

9. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Iroko is a light golden in its natural state, but I reckon near enough will be good enough with the right varnish and/or stain.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Mahogany was my first choice & answer.

11. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

I think you're right.

I'm sure some mahogany variety would do just fine and can be stained to suit. Neither of the areas it would be used are next to the fireplace so i'm guessing no one would ever notice

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

In agreement with Kiab, I think it's pure mahogany, especially as it probably dates back a good fifty years or so, today's much more common to see sapele. Any local timber yards/joineries around by you, could pop in to see what they got by way of comparison.

13. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I too would go with some type of mahogany. I used Brazilian mahogany when I made my flying V guitar some years ago and the grain is almost identical

CGN likes this.
  14. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

It's the staining which makes it tricky when going to a timber yard to compare with non-stained varieties.

The grain pattern does seem to be mahogony'esque. The african and far eastern hardwoods seem to have very similar grains and densities. Plan to get a couple of smallish pieces of meranti and then look what there is in the osmo oil selection to see if I can get a good match.

15. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

If it was Brazilian or Cuban mahogany it almost has a flame in it or at least that was what I was taught many years ago. It's seems to be a W.African substitute, perhaps iroko or could it be meranti/lauan?

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Also thought about it being sipo or utile wood.

17. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Yes, it could be utile KIAB. Tbh it's one of those questions where you've just got to go with a gut feeling and hope you match it OK and then paint it in magnolia like what I always end up doing.

KIAB likes this.
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:(:(

No paint, nice to see the beauty of the wood.

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Would like to see the 'V', can you post a photo?

KIAB likes this.
  20. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Hardwood ply with a stain?