What is this hardwood?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by fostyrob, Jan 31, 2017.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You need to look at the big picture Andy, never your strong point.
    Are you going to spend another 20 pages protesting you are right when everyone knows you're wrong? :):)

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

But youve chosen the picture to compare where the OPs photo had the flash on, which isn't a true representation of the real colouring of the timber, hence why the other original photos are nothing like American oak, but highly similar to a mahogany species. And even with the flash on and Photoshop used, the grain is nowhere near......:confused:

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Light Opera, only a guess!

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Ahh you guessed ,, I do love Gilbert and Sullivan (the rock versions) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

KIAB likes this.
  5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The figirature is all wrong.

Astramax likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Plus+ Oak is not polished full grain! it may be a mahogany type but also could be a 'Fruit Wood'?

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Agghhhh 'The Pirates of Pen'V'ance .

8. joinerjohn1

I much prefer "The Vikado " :D:D:D

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I chose the flashed picture because I thought it showed more what the true colour would be. The other stuff is lashed with mahogany stain, so hard to imagine what lies beneath.
    But once again, it was just a suggestion. The OP can choose to accept or ignore it.
    Not anyone else's business.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Mr. Handyandy

Oh and by the way, there have been at least six other suggestions of which wood it is.
    At least 5 of them must be wrong.
    Have a go at them why don'tya?

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

HMS 'V'inifore is not too bad either!

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No need to be rude now is there o_O !?

13. Mr. Handyandy

Sorry, didn't think that was rude!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. joinerjohn1

Yep, all of them varieties of mahogany related woods. ;)

KIAB likes this.
  15. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

OK after much deliberation I have infact gone for a couple of pieces of Sapele.

All the tight grains of the mahogany variants and african woods seem much for muchness. The utile was going to be massively more expensive. The meranti although the cheapest was discounted in favour of the sapele with the greater impact resistance. I plan to put these bits of wood under the cast iron radiators I discussed in another thread to form a sort of plinth getting round the problem of carpet or radiator first and making things easier when we get a new carpet. I plan to route out channels and insert some flat brass bar under where the legs will be to both protect the wood and match the brass valves, stays and pipe surrounds.

Will let you know if it turns into a disaster!

16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

First time I've seen this mentioned here. Anyone tempted to use this must read the safe handling data sheets. Potassium dichromate as it is usually called is quite nasty stuff. No longer readily available to general public although there are sources. I come across it in photography.

KIAB likes this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It is poisonous, & breathing the dust ain't going do you any good either.:eek:

On some timbers it will turn the wood greyish in colour, other wood like oak, magohony,cherry red to brown, depends on the Tannin in timber.
    If your in to furniture restoring you can still get it.

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Something else no doubt to thank our EU community friends for!:rolleyes:

P.S. How much would you like!