110v to 240v site transformer

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by tina lucinda lane, Feb 1, 2017.

1. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

what sort of power level should i buy (btw most this is to run will be a pat tester) for on site tests (not sure yet if my pat tester will be able to run at lower voltage) i know my laptop can so have a 110v supply lead for it as battery is had its day)

2. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

You won't need a massive one, unless you are doing run tests, then it will need to be as big as the tool you are testing would need to operate it. if you do find you need only a small one you can just reverse a small 110v site transformer, as small purpose made ones are hard to come by.

3. tina lucinda lane

yea had thought of doing just that and spray paint the houseing blue of course

4. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

5. tina lucinda lane

if its just a step down 1 to 1 isolating transformer then yes so long as the 110v socket (if fitted) is replaced with a 240v model and the plug replaced with a 110v plug

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

NO! As a minimum, the input and output connectors would need to be totally removed and replaced with the correct "gender". The original output will be a female socket and the input potentially a plug on a lead. If the device is reversed the input plug becomes the output and there will be 230v on bare pins - an accident waiting to happen.

Buy the correct type.

Joe95 likes this.
  7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

And it would still be dangerous.

8. tina lucinda lane

ok please explain as im intrested

9. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Slightly confused as to why there would be 240v equipment on site with no 240v sockets that you could plug your PAT tester into?

But going back I would not let you on site with a home made solution, it would never be compliant, tested or meet and international standards

CGN likes this.
  10. tina lucinda lane

it was only an idea (and most but not all pat testers can be powered only at 240 volts (as they have a built in stepdown transformer)

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

12. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Most sites requiring a 100V Reduced Low Voltage (RLV) supply will not permit you to step the voltage up to 230V. It would rather defeat the purpose of insisting on RLV for the site!

Also a 1:1 transformer would not transform 110V to 230V.

Joe95 likes this.
  13. tina lucinda lane

maybe used the wrong term there but it would be an isolating transformer simply used for powering a pat to carry out testing that or run round with a genny in the van with a stove pipe exuast out the roof to power the pat then have to either run a extenion from there up to the 20th floor for the tester or run up and down the 20+ flights of stairs with kit to be tested lol

14. tina lucinda lane

maybe if i get a lot of 110v stuff look at a special 110v pat kit atm its weighing up was cost effecint

15. philthespark

I think you're getting confused somewhat with terminology, a 1.1 transformer is merely an isolating transformer, what you put in is what you get out, just isolated. A 110v transformer is a step down transformer that because of it's construction also provides safety isolation. Forget what others are telling you, I have 30+ years experience in industrial and domestic electrics and you can reverse an ordinary site transformer, but, you must fit the correct (blue) output socket and yellow 110v plug. there are certain limited applications where isolated 240v is allowed on site but these are strictly controlled. I must admit though I am rather intrigued as to what 240v equipment you would be testing on a site that is all 110v.

16. tina lucinda lane

im not testing 240v equiptment i would be testing 110v power leads, 110v extenion leads and 110v tools at 110v but most pat testers use 240v supply (even some which have a 110v socket as they have a buit in stepdown transformer) but can not be powered by 110v due to desgin and yes i did mix that one up (worked with electronics so used a lot of 1 to 1 isolating transformers got the term stuck in my head that 1 to 1 isolating transformer makes safe as in a crt tv with a headphone socket)

17. philthespark

OK got it now, the other option is to get all the equipment brought somewhere on site where you have 240, most sites have a room where they charge batteries as most people don't have 110v chargers

18. tina lucinda lane

good point and that would also work just a pain having to drag stuff down 20+ stairs to test it to then take it back to where it came from tho if i time my test right then can have all kit left in one place for me (and pigs could fly lol) anyway the only 110v kit that can be tested full at 240v+ are the extenion leads (due to the cable being rated in most to 500v+ same as 240v+ leads) but all other 110v kit cant be tested at 240v+ due to dammage risk but yea thanks guys

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you have a vehicle how about an inverter that puts out 240v ?

20. tina lucinda lane

could but may put too much strain on the battery (unless a 24v system rather than a 12v) when doing load test and or type testing (and at this time i dont have a vehicle this based on what i may end up with needing) and done as cost allows and need demands) want to work out the best idea to go foward with