110v to 240v site transformer

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by tina lucinda lane, Feb 1, 2017.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

No problem, could try a petrol/diesel generator some do 110v / 240v but don't always put out an earth which could be a problem.

or you could get someone to ......

upload_2017-2-2_16-37-43.png

2. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

the earth problem can be overcome with an earth rod and a straper (as most gennys had a earth point on them normaly a screw on the case)

3. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Any big site I know would throw you off site for transforming 110V to 230V (and rightly so, as it defeats the whole object of having 110V site supplies).

That said, my PAT tester can be operated from either a 110V or 230V supply so they certainly exist.

4. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Would a battery-powered PAT tester be more suitable, particularly if you are considering a 110v one?

Seaward do a range of battery-powered units.

CGN likes this.
  5. tina lucinda lane

never said they all didnt

6. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I know you didn't. But introducing 230V into a site requiring 110V is a nonsense.

7. tina lucinda lane

not if you need to power a tester that can only be supplied by 240volts and can not warrent the cost of a 2nd pat for 110v supply just saying is all like i said may just end up with a 110v only pat (for uk use with uk spec) for just this need

8. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Then possibly you are not the correct person for the job?
    Sites are 110v for good reason you are asking a lot of the contractor to take responsibility for you going against the norm.

I'm also a bit surprised they are asking you to 'wander' around the site looking for items to test. How do you know you have got them all and something has not been moved into an area you have already passed through.

Risteard likes this.
  9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I have to agree with Risteard, what you are proposing is not the best solution.

Dragging round a transformer all day, that may not be permitted on site, is a pain the in the backside. Particularly in the case of PAT, you've got to pick it up and move it every ten minutes.

You mentioned you might get a new tester, so why not a battery one?
    It would be easy to carry round, you wouldn't have to worry about a power source and you'll be quicker doing the job.

Even our hosts stock them:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/seaward-403a910-primetest-250-pat-tester/6424p

10. tina lucinda lane

problem with battery model cant do load or type testing and i havent been asked to do site testing (yet) simply working out the best way to do it thats all

11. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

How would you do load tests on 110 tools with a 240 source?

Risteard likes this.
  12. tina lucinda lane

via a pat that has a buit in step down transformer (there is a handful of pat that can only use a 240v supply but have a built in 110v socket and a 110v stepdown transformer)

13. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

It would be a heavy PAT tester with an inbuilt transformer. My PAT tester can be powered from either a 110V or 230V supply. To do load tests etc. on equipment it must be powered at the voltage of the equipment you are testing.

14. tina lucinda lane

yea it was a heavy pat tester i had used (was on loan to me at the time) and was a brute to use

15. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I'm sorry to say this but I really question your ability to do this safely. Your looking to step up the voltage to 240 to have a pat machine that I suspect is very unusual step down to 110?

I doubt if any would step down with the capability to do load tests. It makes no sense that someone would want to carry that about with them

Risteard likes this.
  16. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

So a pat tester with a step down transformer, powered by a step up transformer.o_O:confused:

Will be fun lugging that around a site...

Risteard likes this.
  17. tina lucinda lane

well this old tester i was loaned did have a buit in 110v step down transformer any i buy wont be used like this 1st im getting a good 240volt pat then if i get a site contract then i shall buy a 110 volt (uk spec) pat for all my site testing needs simple

18. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Apologies the Seaward Supernova does dual voltage run tests, but it's £1300. Much better to buy a 110v unit and save money and weight if you want to do it properly

19. tina lucinda lane

yea it was fun lugging it round it nearly fell out portable equiptment type due to weight

20. tina lucinda lane

yea that was the sort of one i was loaned (but was a old model)