I need some advice on buying screws

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by lemonade, Feb 12, 2017.

1. lemonade

lemonade Member

If you need to attach a batten to a wall using wall plugs and screws what type of screws is best to use and if it says to use a 6 mm screw does that mean something like 6 x 1 1/4" or 6.0 x 70mm. I've had a look at the screws in wickes and a 6 looks to small and a 6.0 look to big.

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

What is it you are going to need the battens for ?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    btiw likes this.
  4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

The best guys to ask on the forum about screws are chippie244 and Mr handyandy, give it an hour and they may be able to help ;)

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Plus, kiabs spot on.

6. lemonade

lemonade Member

That was me who posted about the hinge tite screws :(

7. Oh no, not again.

Did you want screws made in uk, europe or elsewhere in the world ? Might as well provoke all the subjects in 1 thread ? :rolleyes:

gadget man, DIYDave. and btiw like this.
  8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

give them an hour - and the debate will last a lifetime ;)

gadget man likes this.
  9. proby

proby Active Member

You ba stard:) look at what you started 20 pages and still going, at least tell them the outcome;)

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What size is the batten, if it's something 19x44 you usualy use a screw that is the thickness of the batten plus the length of the plug.
    Imperial screws are a gauge while metric is the dia of the screw and you need the eqiviliant to a metric 4 or 5.

btiw likes this.
  11. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

Internal or external? If external you may want stainless steel. Turbo ultra or something like that.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The answer to that is buy a hinge tite or any single countersink screw and if the head still protrudes then go down a size, usualy a metric 4 will be fine.

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

They can't agree with each other it's become like 'handbags at dawn' between them :D

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Contact Kiabfix.

15. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You tease, you wanted to start WW3 all over again.

As for screws gauge 8 our 10 depend on weight hanging of battern, length 50mm longer then battern thickness.

btiw likes this.
  16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've agreed with Handy several times on that post, when he has agreed that he was wrong but then he disagrees with himself again. It's hard work sometimes and I'm suprised anybody else is watching it but it keeps me amused and Handy irate:):)

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I already said that and I spelt batten correctly ;);)

18. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

R, I messed up. :D

chippie244 likes this.
  19. 'm suprised anybody else is watching it but it keeps me amused and Handy irate

That's exactly why we keep reading it I guess

gadget man likes this.
  20. lemonade

lemonade Member

I'm fitting a plastic curtain track so I will be putting up a 2 x 1 batten. The last time I put up a batten for curtains I used brown wall plugs and they said to use 10,12,14 screws but the brown plugs I have now says to use screws between 4mm and 6mm and that's what got me confused when I seen a number 6 screw and 6.0 screws.