Is steel wool dangerous?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by dogfox2, Feb 20, 2017.

1. dogfox2

dogfox2 Member

Hi all,

I have been mice-proofing a Victorian property recently, as this winter the critters have made an unwelcome appearance - and I have been reading some scare stories about steel wool.

Below is where/how I have used it (indoors only). Do I have anything to worry about?

- between floorboards with gaps, between floorboards & skirting boards
    - under kitchen cupboards & the bathtub. Also under a fridge built in to kitchen cupboards
    - up the chimney opening above the fireplace (no, the fireplace is never lit or used!)
    - around pipework: copper and plastic

Thanks in advance!

2. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

If a current flows through steel wool then it will get very hot, glow and melt. It doesn't take much. Just try dropping something as small 9v battery into steel wool to see the effect, actually don't try it - watch someone else do it.

So I'd be cautious if there was any potential (excuse the pun) for it to contact anything electrical (e.g. under the fridge and between floorboards). I would imagine the spiky bits of wool could easily touch some terminals.

3. dogfox2

dogfox2 Member

Ok thanks - how about I remove the steel wool in any potential problem areas (i.e. near any terminals) and replace with this more professional stuff:

http://amzn.eu/dgSEh1s

Also where around the house am I likely to find terminals that might be a problem? A list of likely places would be most helpful when knowing which bits of the steel wool to replace!

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

To rodent proof a property you need a combination of wire wool, glass and cement. Rodents especially rats will gnaw through almost anything to get into a property or to a food source. A rat will get through a hole less than 25mm !

So the idea is that if you find a hole, you push some wire wool in, then some shards of glass, then cement on top. The idea being the wire wool, will block up the hole and hold the glass in place then the cement holds bonds the glass together. The combination of all three are designed to wear down and shred the rodents claws and teeth.

The only problem you will have will wire wool by itself is that it will rust and possibly leave stains.

5. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Use foam with wire wool inside it

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

100% copper wool, fine copper wire mesh, not copper coated, rats,mice hate it, more effective than steel wool.

7. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I used some of them plug ins that give off a high pitch tone not seen any since I started using them b q sell them

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Is that the thing that shops use to stop teenagers hanging around outside? - of course teenagers are pests as well :D

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

How do you get them to leave their bedrooms?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I wish you could tell me Chips, got a 19 year old here, comes out for food,sociable most times, very happy to stay there in his room, rather than going clubbing,etc.:confused:

longboat likes this.
  11. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

During my SAS training, that was one of many methods demonstrated in how to light a fire in the wild. If only they'd supplied us with torches that used a 9v battery,,, everything would have been grand.

Unfortunately the 1.5v powered 'C-ceĺl' alternative didn't quite cut the mustard!
    So I quit.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not getting into trouble, not drinking too much, not taking drugs, not getting girls up the duff, not getting into fights, I don't know what's wrong with today's kids.
    They just study hard and then can't get jobs. :confused::confused::confused:

longboat likes this.
  13. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Tell em 'Donald Trump' is POTUS.
    :D

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

A long time in my past - http://www.loftywiseman.co.uk/

longboat likes this.
  15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

My sons the same just turned 18 at the start of the month, not gone to the pub with his mates, not go to the cinema to 18 rated films etc.

16. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I'm sure your parent's had the same sugar coated perception of you when you were a young lad!

17. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

That's the man. Got the square book in the loft somewhere. Remember watching when he took Peter Duncan out for a week?

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You want to be out with him for six weeks :oops:

19. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I'm going to have to dig it out now.
    This one. Great days. 81PlrB61wzL.jpg

20. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Not now, no.
    If I recall correctly, Peter was curled up on the floor begging for his mommy by day four.:rolleyes:
    Bloody wuss.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017