Bathroom Hair Straighteners

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Crooksey, Mar 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Crooksey

Crooksey New Member

I am about to re-fit our en-suite out to include a dressing area (as its quite large) and we are lucky enough that due to the large room dimensions, we have a big enough room where some space falls into zone 3.

Now my wife want's to have her hair straighteners in the bathroom, and being that we can have a socket fitted, this isn't a big deal. However I still don't feel that at ease having a normal socket/straighteners setup in the bathroom.

If we wen't down the socket route I was going to have a RCD protected outside weatherproof socket, mounted inside a cupboard. So not only is it in zone 3, its inside a cupboard.

But, if possible I would like to try and get hold of some commercial style hair straighteners. E.g. for the hair dryer I was going to source something like:

http://www.prestigewashrooms.co.uk/...restige.html?gclid=CNL_3O-7tdICFQ4UGwodHpUN9A

And I wondered if the same thing existed for a hair straighter?

Thanks.

PS If anyone else has any other ideas/suggestions as to how to accomplish this safely, that would be great.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Why cant yer missus use the hair straighteners in the bedroom? You could fit a ritz light, and a socket, and yer missus can do er stuff..handy also when she does er make up.

KIAB likes this.
  4. Crooksey

Crooksey New Member

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seldom are straighteners hard wired.

Could contact my link & see if they can suggest some suitable make.

6. Crooksey

Crooksey New Member

Hence the reason for this post!

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Why are you having the washing and dressing facilities in the same room?

A nice hot steamy shower will fill both then the mirrors will mist over and clothes get damp. Why not have divider? Frosted glass and a sliding glass door between the two?

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree, it should be a seperate room ideally.

9. Crooksey

Crooksey New Member

The room doesn't steam up at the moment, due to its large size. Its not a dressing area, its simply a way for her to get ready in the en-suite removing the need for a separate dressing room/area in another room.

10. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

You've been consulting out of date info. There hasn't been a 'Zone 3' since 2008 ;)

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  11. Crooksey

Crooksey New Member

Haha yea, well I have areas in my bathroom which are zoneless!

12. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Can you not
    a) Mount a standard socket more than 3M from the bath
    or
    b) Cut the plug off and fix on an FCU the the cable cant reach back into Zone 2?

I'm assuming your sockets are RCD protected as is?

13. Crooksey

Crooksey New Member

If I cut the plug of and connect directly to an FCU does that change where the socket can be placed? E.g. distance from the edge of the bath/shower.

Yes, house on twin RCD CU (only built 6 years ago)

14. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

The FCU needs to be out of zone 2 (0.6m from bath/shower) but I would want it 0.6m + cable length + margin to have some safety element in there too

15. Crooksey

Crooksey New Member

Thats excellent, so I could have 1x FCU for the dryer, and one for the straighteners.

Am I right in thinking these have to be unswitched? I would like them switched if possible.

16. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I believe it can be switched, other may comment

17. Crooksey

Crooksey New Member

Thanks.