What are your thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by P. Gee, Mar 2, 2017.

1. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply in depth. Basically if you imagine the whole front surface being one flat area there are a couple of places where the doors don't sit completely flat, but minimal. I want my work to be excellent and I was chuffed with them. I walked in last Tuesday after letting it settle for a week and the customer said "don't they look good".

2. Absolutely they don't deserve it.

But I'm thinking about what point PG can say to himself "this is what it'll take me to walk away with no more hassle".

3. I'm astonished that 8' high MDF doors are sitting as flat as they are! How thick are they?

Love to see a photo - there have been a few folk on here wondering about having MDF doors sprayed like you have done. How much work was that, prep and stuff?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

18mm.:eek: reckon they will warp in time.

I would have used 25mm mdf.

5. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Sounds like one sheet is more bowed than the other. Can you bend them to adjust? If not its a new set.

Did you make it all out of the same batch of boards? Each batch will form a slight bow under storage.

Or it may have picked up the bowing during the painting process. Maybe the painter knows how to bend them.

I have put in many an mdf door which look flush but are in fact slightly bowed. All the stiles need to be worked with the bow in the same way.
    But ordinarily the catch/handle pulls it all into the frame, making them flush.

6. Paul Otter

Paul Otter Active Member

I had a problem like this once and went the court route but it took for ever and in my opinion was not worth the grief for £1k.

Part of the court order was that I should supply the customer with the names of three "professionals" to survey the work and they chose one from the list, the cost is split and both sides abide with the survey (you would need to ask the surveyor to comment if the 2mm is acceptable).

I think if you call Trading Standards and explain the case that they will survey for free - you will need to check this though.

If your customer does not agree to this then you will have to take them to court but they will be on the back foot straight away for not allowing the survey, the judge will probably order a survey anyway, this will be at least six months away and by then the 2mm may have gone if not we all know that it is acceptable anyway.

If it was me I would explain the above to the customer and verbally offer them a 20% good will discount (as they have been such a good customer in the past etc), if they do not go for it confirm your offer in writing, the judge should recognise your attempts of mitigation and professionalism.

Hope this helps

FatHands and P. Gee like this.
  7. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

Yes, all from the same batch and from a timber merchant who knows how to store MDF. I understand that the customer needs to be satisfied with the work but this is being totally unreasonable. I'll try to get a photo uploaded later.

8. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

I may suggest they ask another local firm to give their opinion.

9. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

The thing is I've down countless doors like this over the years and never had a problem, and as I say, the area in question is so slight that you wouldn't even give it a second glance, certainly you wouldn't say "I'm not happy with that"

10. Paul Otter

Paul Otter Active Member

Problem is the customer could say that the OP knows the builder, on the flip the builder may just run the job down because he can and I think that a court will only recognise a RICS qualified "professional"

P. Gee likes this.
  11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

KIAB likes this.
  12. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I came across it a while ago, I had a similar problem with long doors.

I made a batch of 1m high cupboard doors once, they were all beautifully flat and stayed flat. However, one made exactly the same as the others from the same stock warped from day one. No matter what I tried it wouldn't go flat. Binned it and made another from the same stock and it was fine like the others :mad:

Even with thick timber, long lengths are going to bow one way or another. I have tried to reduce it by placing magnetic catches on a few places on the edge -but even then they will move and you rely on somebody shutting the door properly and not leaving garments sticking out so the door doesn't close.

I have had better results with "lipping". them. I am making up some painted pine corner cupboards with 600mm curved shelves. It is surprising how stable the pine becomes after the lipped edge is put on.

14. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

For years now I've been making loads of the furniture and fittings for Fred Perry shops, much of it very big peices and nearly always from MDF, and very rarely is there a problem, and as I've said, neither is there with this job in anyone elses eyes. Still, nice to know there are products out there for straightening doors!

15. proby

proby Active Member

If you are sure that it's a top job why would you right off £950. If you do it'll happen again, word spreads that you are a soft touch.

KIAB likes this.
  16. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

I think if you knew this woman you would understand. From the moment she came to my workshop to see the progress it was clear what I was in for. In hindsight I should have just cut my losses after her first visit when I'd only spent £400. As it is I've spent £1000 but been paid £1500 so at least I've made something. For my own sanity and the need to just move on I'm emailing them my thoughts on it trying to explain that wood and wood derived products can't ever be finished as accurately as engineering for instance. If they reject that so be it, I've got plenty of other reasonable people to work for. You should hear what I've been told about the problems the bathroom fitter had with them..Oh, and the kitchen fitter!!!

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

P.G what area/location is this pain in the arris located?

18. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

I'd better not give too much away but she's not far from Brighton

19. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

I don't know if these will look any good, I've reduced the photo sizes...I think, but maybe too much!

Attached Files:

20. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

Better?

Attached Files:

Astramax and KIAB like this.