What are your thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by P. Gee, Mar 2, 2017.

1. I don't see any issue.

I would definitely revisit and chat nicely, and specifically ask where the problem is. If she insists it is a problem then take photo's from all angles of the specific area.

Then decide if you could realistically have done any better, or could anybody else for the same price. Be honest with yourself.

If you are not happy with your finished work, compromise the best deal you can. If you are happy with it, tell her it has to be paid 1 way or the other and the photo's are to support your case if it needs to go that way.

Good luck

P. Gee and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

My missus is a great cook ( apparently she can cook Indian and Chinese meals.. (Even serves them in authentic looking takeaway boxes too) :D:D:D:D

Astramax and KIAB like this.
  3. It is still hard for us to tell from photographs, but it certainly looks like an impressive setup. I wonder how much 'Sharps' or any of these outfits would have charged for a full-width customised build like that?!

Try the reasoned approach as suggested by a few above - tell them you are happy to discuss the issue in a reasonable way until a resolution is arrived at, and that will likely take having another independent fitter come and give their opinion.

My suspicions are that they are simply unreasonable and pernickety and the type that look at the finished job, like what they see - and then go over everything with a fine-toothed comb after the tradespeep has gone, almost desperate to find fault as it demonstrates what 'perfectionists' they are.

Very good chance that'll they'll see sense when they realise you ain't simply going to accept their judgement on this work, and that they'll HAVE to accept someone else coming in to give a professional opinion too - either voluntarily or via a legal MoneyClaim.

I suspect they are 'happy' to say whatever to one person - but will baulk at having having two separate pros telling them they are unreasonable.

4. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

You've got it in a nutshell. Once I'd left the magnifying glass came out. She even tried some sort of acrobatics to look at unseen areas! Anyway, I'll make a polite and reasonable request to get them to arrange for another outfit to give their opinion. If that fails though I don't think I'd have the patience to go down the legal route.

5. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Its a good job all in. Most folk would accept it and be happy with it.

The complainers must have specific reasons to complain and that isn't clear as yet. So is it the slight difference in gap between the drawer unit and the doors on the right?

6. proby

proby Active Member

If your happy to take a thousand pound hit on a say so I can put plenty of work your way :)

P. Gee likes this.
  7. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

I don't think the photos really show it as it is. If you imagine standing in front of it and sliding your hand across where a pair of doors meet when they close, a couple of them are not 100% flat, but only minutely, not even enough to make you look twice, unless you had the sight of my Greyhound! We all know wood and wood derived products can have slight discrepancies, it's the nature of the beast, even Chippendale would have agreed on that. Anyway, before I completely bore the under garments off everyone I'll post again when I get the next response. Thanks again everyone for your interest and input.....Role on retirement!!

8. So the door is ever so slightly 'warped' (for lack of a better word)?

To the tune of 2mm over an 8 foot length?

Question for you - how the hell did you manage to get them that flat?

P. Gee and KIAB like this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Would need the eyes of a hawk to spot that 2mm deflection.:eek:

P. Gee likes this.
  10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

2mm(!?) It's absolutely fxxx all in this context, gets my back up even thinking about cowboy customer trying it on.

11. I think the consensus is, PG, that we'll be disappointed if you simply take this on the chin. 'Cos it ain't right - you have done what looks like a cracking bit of work and for a very reasonable price.

But it is, of course, your call alone.

(But I reckon you'll regret it if you don't challenge it... :rolleyes: )

If a customer came on here - and a number have done so - complaining of genuinely poor work and a tradespeep who is being unreasonable and is in denial, the advice is the same - challenge it. Don't let them off with it.

They will chust keep on doing it - and telling themselves they are in the right.

They need a dose of reality...

KIAB and Astramax like this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You completed that job for a very reasonable price to the customer............................go back, take the door off for adjustments that will have to be completed at your workshop of coarse...........and keep it ready for fitting once the bill has been settled. :mad:

KIAB likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You'll be surprise how fast news can travel, let one off, others WILL think they can do the same trick, you will be a fool to walk away.

Rulland likes this.
  14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

100% agree. Fight tooth and nail for the rightful balance. Fxxk em.

KIAB likes this.
  15. Silly question, but would over-tweaking the hinges pull the door further past the way it needs to go so's it settles at the perfect spot if left like this for a week or so?

It would need adjusting the 'in-out' way, and this would likely have to be done with the door cracked open chust enough for you to get the screwdriver in for adjustment - and then they mustn't fully open the door while it 'resettles' as it would put too much 'wrong' pressure on the hinges.

They put the hinge adjustment back to the 'correct' setting.

16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I've assumed he's tried everything, as he's obviously good at his job. Trouble is, even if against the odds he managed to lose the discrepancy, the dic kheads have it in their mind that they don't want to pay, so will come up with the most pathetic drivel in order to cheat the bill. Don't matter if he offered to make new wardrobes, they probably still wouldn't pay.

Rulland likes this.
  17. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I find the ones that have 'loads a money' are the biggest nit pickers tbh, it's almost like they've got to spend it to pacify the tax man, and attempt to shaft the system to boot, ahhhh , and in the meantime we'll take the nice friendly workman, trying to earn an honest living, to the cleaners, to claw a few quid back.

18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

That's HOW a lot of them have a load of money :mad:

19. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

Exactly what I've told them but they want instant results. I'm waiting for their reply now.

20. I totally understand what a horrible, emotive issue this is, PG, and why you feel like simply walking away from it.

In a few month's time, tho', once you are more detached from it and can look back and see the situation as simple and clear as it actually is, you will regret having done so, I am almost certain.

I really hope you stand your ground.

Calm, reason. Because you are in the right.