Hole size for 15mm Copper Pipe Through Timber Floor

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Big Red Ant, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Big Red Ant

Big Red Ant New Member

Hi,

Hopefully a nice easy one.

I am moving a radiator from one wall to another one. What size hole should I be drilling for the pipe to pass up from under the floor to the radiator? I can't look at the old holes because the floorboards have been notched then put in place after the plumbing first fix when the house was built. I just want a nice tidy hole that is not too big or small. 15mm is the obvious answer but no room for expansion if some is needed.

Thank in advance.

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Depends on the size of the drill bits you have to hand....around 18mm I'd say.

Big Red Ant likes this.
  3. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

I'd agree with 18mm, but you have to make sure the centre of the hole is exactly (left to right and front to back) under the centre of the valve to which the pipe will be connected. 1.5mm in any one direction off centre doesn't allow for much adjustment.

Big Red Ant likes this.
  4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Don't make 15 mm bits far as I know , 16mm nearest but 18 gives bit of leyway

Big Red Ant likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Big Red Ant likes this.
  6. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

The bigger the hole the more play the pipe will have. This will help to keep the pipes straight, left to right and front to back. It will also help when the radiator needs to come off the wall at some point.
    It can be a pain when the valve won't slip off the tail when removing a rad.
    I'd go 18-20mm if the floorboards are hidden.

Heat and Big Red Ant like this.
  7. Big Red Ant

Big Red Ant New Member

Hi All

thanks for your help. Think I will go with Mike83 and make a 20mm hole as floorboards are hidden by carpet and gives me some room for movement as I'm not a plumber so I expect I will need some.

Much appreciated.

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I imagine that ones the pipes are in place, you could fill around the pipe where it comes through the floorboard with caulk or silicone of some sort. Otherwise you'll get dirt coming through and staining the carpet. Or use a bit of pipe insulation cut to size, or pipe lagging etc.

9. durrans

durrans New Member