Forum Support Photo query

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jord86, Mar 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Evening Pete, why when I try to upload photos do they end up rotated on their side on the post even though when I open up screen to try to edit them they appear the right way up? I'm using a kindle fire to upload if that bears any relevance, am very computer illiterate though. Cheers for any help.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

DA recommended some photo site to get around this problem, never had any issues myself with uploading.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

That's asking a lot of me mate, only recently learned how to send an email :D bit embarrassing really :oops:

vivaro man likes this.
  4. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

I suspect that your Kindle is automatically changing the orientation of the pictures. If you do not have any software to flip them there are lots of online image editors.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Still working..:eek:

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Right..... I'm stepping firmly into the unknown here, I'll give it a go. Cheers for the help gents.

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

SF Peter is actually an AI program Screwfix decided to purchase . They then made the real SF Peter redundant. :D:D:D:D:D:D

KIAB likes this.
  8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

we have AI forum members - However, many are just artificial and show little intelligence :D

KIAB likes this.
  9. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D (you just know DA's gonna have a field day with this )

10. The issue Jord has is with the photos being on their side, not being too large to upload.

I have the same issue - photos that I've taken with my camera 'portrait' format and then use Windows 'Photos' or whatever to rotate them, it seems that the image retains the info that it was originally on its side and then puts it back there when you upload them to SF or to, say, eBay.

If you click on the photos on here to enlarge them, and then click (top-RH corner) 'View in original source' (or summat like that) you should find it the right way up again :).

I think.

11. Now't artificial about your lack of intelligence, JJ... :p

12. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Photos retain the orientation they are taken in- something to do with the exif data.
    Even if you rotate them ie click on the file and rotate clockwise /anticlockwise (or open and rotate )although the file looks the right way up on your computer when uploaded to certain sites they rotate back to their original orientation - gumtree is really bad for this!

A way to get round this is to make some form of change to the picture and save it. Generally I have to resize the image to upload here and when saving the file it saves what ever orientation I have the image in (if I have changed it). If for instance you do not need to resize but just want to save an orientation change you can open the image in paint or similar and make a tiny dot on the image (you will never see this but have altered the image) then save. It is a bit of a faff but works for all sites I have tried it on.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.