Van racking inspiriation

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by leesparkykent, Mar 18, 2017.

1. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Just brought a LWB transit custom crew cab van and want to rack it out....Would any one care to post photos of their vans setup? I'm thinking of putting in a false floor so can slide steps etc under.

2. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

More on the transit, make the first jobs you do be security. The factory barrel is too easily bypassed.

Other than the rather sh**e security, they are decent vans. Doors have a lot of 'flex' to them though.

3. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

There is no barrel on the rear doors and being the double cab the side doors are for the rear seats which have a bulk head behind.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Pinterest is good for ideas (sorry Kiab) :)

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG]

CGN likes this.
  6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Always wanted a US style fitted out trailer, something that holds the tools, materials, provides a work shelter and capable of being left where you are working. No more unloading stuff each night. Some of them are fitted out with an awning to give shelter from the weather. Also a great space to advertise your business.

Placing one of these on the average driveway or street over here would be so impractical

upload_2017-3-19_10-13-40.png

vivaro man and Joe95 like this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

But, they are so cool:cool:, got a builder mate in Colarado, his van has onboard compressor,generator & welder:eek:, & his trailer like above would put any workshop to shame.

vivaro man likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Look what were missing here,contractor trailers .:(

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Always thought about converting a double horse box. You can buy a good quality use one for around £2k, ramp at the back, single door above the hitch for access and built to hold a lot of weight!

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good idea, using a 5 ton horsebox.

Last year I was at a auction, & there was a horsebox,almost new very similar to the 5 TON MASCOT 120 DXI, would have made a perfect van for a builder, only went for around 3.5k plus vat.

It was almost same as this.

http://www.centralenglandhorseboxes.co.uk/new-build-5-ton-renault-mascot-120-dxi/

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Justifies some trades people having a 4x4 pickup

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

There's a cracking video and photographs on 'Thisiscarpentry', Gary Katz's website of a guy who racked his Renault Trafic out to accommodate all his festool gear, and he could still slide a sheet of board in afterwards, look it up, very clever bloke. I put a false floor in my old van using 6x2 and 18mm ply, accessed from the back doors. Hid paslode and drill cases under the floor then, if someone looked through the back window it appeared there was nothing of value. Couldn't fit sheet material in the back then though, so swings and roundabouts.

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Thinking of one of these - should easily carry 2,000 kg

upload_2017-3-19_11-49-36.png

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

KIAB likes this.
  15. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

But you have a barrel on drivers door? Which can unlock everything, look up a hykee replacement barrel, about £80 and 2mins to fit. Far too easy to get into with a standard barrel fitted and many transits including mine have been done in this way . It's not going to stop you getting gear nicked but will certainly put off the guys looking for a quick job using a tibbe key .

Joe95 and leesparkykent like this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can get inner security doors fitted to transit & other vans,there one or two firms offering them.

leesparkykent likes this.
  17. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Sortimo best racking out there but it f@#$$#g expensive

18. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Exactly how they did my 06 transit connect.

To this day I'm still surprised how bad I had it, took everything including screw boxes and my henry. Had to buy almost all my tools again.

19. Mike523152

Mike523152 New Member

Seems like the US is way ahead of most companies when it comes to onboard power and accessories, one solution that I have seen available is to have a hydraulic pump, belt driven under the bonnet of your vehicle, which can be used to drive multiple items, compressors, generators, welders, although if you want ac power and welding use the generator to run a welder, you can find more information about this stuff at www.hydraulicgenerators.co.uk

20. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Start by making a false bottom to slide tool boxes under. Then build on that. I used loft board legs £2ish each. Also bought led strip lights £20 eBay. Brilliant for winter