Radial Circuit R1 R2

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Hally4646, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Hally4646

Hally4646 Member

My friend asked me to install a radial circuit in his garage for an electric garage door. The CU is about 1.5 meters away from the door and there were spare ways in the board, so ive just put a radial circuit on a 16a mcb. Ive put a FCU in and a double socket at the end. Quick test to make sure its all ok, even though i can visually see everything is fine. Linked line and earth to preform R1 R2. Getting a reading of 0.10 ohms, switch the socket off.... still getting 0.10 ohms. Am i missing something glaringly obvious here? surely when i switch the socket i should loose continuity??

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Are you sure you have connected onto the switched side Hally?

3. Hally4646

Hally4646 Member

At the FCU? both lives, neutrals and earths are connected to the IN terminals and the garage door connected to the out. I even took the FCU off and connected the cables with connector block. Also changed the double socket incase that was faulty but its still the same.

4. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

at which end have you linked your line and earth? at which end are you testing from?

5. Hally4646

Hally4646 Member

Linked at the board and tested at the socket(furthest point) so i could toggle the switches on the socket.

6. bright_Spark

Well then that is fine, why did you expect any difference?

7. Hally4646

Hally4646 Member

But when I toggle the switches on the socket,it should go open circuit shouldn't it?? As I'm breaking the link between line & earth.

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Strange - it will be interesting to see what the answer is - good luck Hally.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  9. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Its glaringly obvious is it not....You've put your probes on the screw terminals so switching the socket on and off is going to have no effect on your readings.

Hally4646 likes this.
  10. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I had thought that, but couldn't think someone would be so silly, so assumed he was plugging into the socket with the 13amp lead...

leesparkykent likes this.
  11. leesparkykent

I've just seen the same post on another forum and the OP certainly was probing the screw terminals and switching the socket :eek::D

12. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Little bit of knowledge can be dangerous, but at least he testing in a fashion

13. Hally4646

Hally4646 Member

Oh ive had a mare here..... Was getting crazy high reading with the R2 plug so i dropped the socket and took it at the screws. Schoolboy error!!!

14. Hally4646

Hally4646 Member

Im away to go sit on the naughty step and think about what i've done....

15. leesparkykent

lol we all make mistakes:)

16. bright_Spark

Did you not null your leads and the R2 plug first?

17. Hally4646

Hally4646 Member

Yeah but i think something might be up with my R2 plug. Something is rattling inside it.

18. bright_Spark

Sounds like its a fault then,

19. Hally4646

Hally4646 Member

Ordered a new one today!

20. bright_Spark

Bugger!!!

Hally4646 likes this.