Fellow tradespeople.....I need some advice!!

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by Missk, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Missk

Missk New Member

Evening fello tradespeople, I'm in need of some experienced advice. My problem is as follows:
    1. Received an e-mail asking if we could quote for some decorating/repairs.
    2. Met with client to understand more about what their needs were, take measurements etc.
    3. Quoted for said work.
    4. E-mail received from prospective clients requesting a revised, cheaper quote be sent as they were prepared to do some of the specified work themselves.
    5. Revised quote sent to client with 'their' work removed plus fewer days labour plus cheaper price.
    6. E-mail received from prospective client advising they would accept the revised quote.
    7. Work started and at the end of the second (out of 3) days of work an e-mail received from client saying they were concerned about the amount of work still to be done and listed all the works that had been listed on the first quote.
    8. I responded saying that's not what was agreed and accepted. We're happy to do additional work but would obviously revert back to the initial, rejected quote including timescales and costs.
    9. We still have half a day's work to do on agreed work. No complaints about quality of work etc.
    10. They have come back and said our price and timescales for the 'extra' work is excessive and will offer us, as a gesture of good will, an extra £100.

I've googled where we stand and what our next steps should be but all my searches have discussed protection from rogue tradespeople. I need protection from rogue clients!!!!

We want to finish the job as we can't leave a job unfinished but not going to be 'conned' into doing extra work. Clients are solicitors and have been 'attempting' to intimidate and bully us into accepting by adding legal jargon and sending e-mails from work e-mail and including post-nominals etc.

Any ideas??

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Here we go again,had almost identical thread on here a couple of weeks ago.

Someone will find it for you,as I can't recall it.:oops::(

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  3. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Some lowlife about. I would demand payment for what you have done, then walk off.

Client sounds like a control freak on a power trip.

Creek likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Getting to be a common problem.

Paul12345 and KIAB like this.
  5. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

First thing at least you have a paper trail. If everything is as per what you have said on an email I can't see how they can argue. They are just trying to bully you and intimidate you. Either ask for payment of works completed then walk away if you can't agree or if they won't pay still walk. Depending on how much your owed seek legal advice and see where it is you stand.

6. Missk

Missk New Member

Apologies for repetition....It's
    That would be helpful as I've gone all the way back to 2014 in my search and my eyes are now square!!

7. Missk

Missk New Member

Really? How disappointing! I understand the need for consumer protection as there's always those few that ruin it for the rest of us hard working souls but there really has to be some form of protection / support from the chancers and thieving clients!!

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

P. Gee, What are your thoughts on this, March 2nd 2017 in carpenters talk may be of possible help!

9. Advise them in writing that the remaining work requires clarification and stop work until it is resolved as per written quotes and details. Consider asking for part payment of materials and labour up to this point.

Do not do any more until the clarification is agreed in writing. State that they have broken the agreed contract and it is in both parties interests to resolve it in a speedy manner so that work can be completed.

Better to walk away now than spend more time and money chasing extra.

If as you say there is a solud paper trail you can chase for work completed as per contract, and reason for stopping is their clear breach of the contract, and your concern of being paid correctly.

Put pressure back on them, no point being intimidated.

CGN likes this.
  10. Missk

Missk New Member

We've avoided their calls and ensured all communication is done via e-mail so we have the paper trail because I know we aren't in the wrong. I suppose my biggest issue is about the half a days work we still have to do. I feel if we don't complete that we will be in the wrong.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

There is also a thread on the painters forum 'client won't pay' by Dr decorator, put up the beginning of this year I think, which is in a very similar vein to this unfortunately, it may be of some help...

Missk likes this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes, that's the one.;)

Missk likes this.
  13. Missk

Missk New Member

Thanks, Jackoftrades. I think that's what's been going through my mind but suppose I needed clarification. Haven't got time to go to CAB and you're right, how much more time can I give these 'criminals'!!

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I really despise the sort of people you're working for...devoid of any human empathy and although a day rate for them is prob similar to a weeks wages for a tradesman...they'll still try and screw you down to the ground.
    You must stand firm...unfortunately you let your guard down by agreeing to do it cheaper initially.

15. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

Unfortunately my outcome ended with me out of pocket. It was a situation where I knew that the only solution was through the legal system which didn't even guarantee a favourable ending. Being an FSB member I asked their legal team for advice which wasn't that helpful sadly. The whole thing caused me so much stress that I politely told them where they could put it. I know others wouldn't have done so but I've moved on from it and it feels good to have it behind me. In 34 years it's really been the only big issue I've had with a customer, and I knew I'd done a good job but my sanity and sleep on this occasion where more important than money. Thankfully the majority of my customers are decent people who continue to recommend me, but there will always be the odd one that betrays the trust that we tradesman (and tradeswomen) have in our customers.

Missk likes this.
  16. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

I had a similar situation with a client before Christmas I chose to remove what hadent been paid for and myself. Everything was either text email or as per the quote. Cut a long story short I had to go to the police station for an interview, nothing ever came of it because I felt it was in the best interests of all involved to end the contract. Asking as he hasn't paid you for the works needed to be completed your entitled to end the contract. If you have a legal advisor you can talk to then talk to then first. Don't feel pressured or bullied by people like this they think there God's gift and they can play the system

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Trouble is these scroats are high flying legally informed scroats, so I'd imagine will be a tougher nut to crack than your average parasite, as they think they can use their position to intimidate. But with a paper and technology trail behind her, I would think the OP would eventually prevail provided she keeps up the pressure on them.

Worst thing is 'letting it go to save the hassle', as it gives carte blanche to these penis munchers to repeat their dirty tricks with another poor unsuspecting tradesman. Nail them to the wall.

18. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You should finish all outstanding work from the quote that was agreed, then invoice for that, once paid in full then consider if you are willing to carry out the extra work based on what you know they are like.

Missk likes this.
  19. Missk

Missk New Member

I'm sorry you went through a similar situation because it's awful and yes, sleep and sanity has been stretched to the absolute limits this last week. I've spoken to checkatrade and our insurance company and because it's not escalated to a complaint (from their perspective) they can't do anything until the client either leaves us a bad review of complains, both of which they have no recourse for. I think it's a solicitor's trick but it's dirty and dishonest. What really bugs me though is that there is so much support and recourse for the consumer but where are we afforded the same level of protection from cowboy clients??

20. Missk

Missk New Member

Thanks, chaps, I really appreciate all your advice and for taking time out to comment. I suppose it will never cease to amaze me how despicable some people are and the lengths they go to, to save a few bucks. It is true what they say about the sole trader being the hardest worker and I will continue to carry my soap box to ensure we are afforded proactive rather than reactive protection and support.

CGN likes this.