Plaster has cracked again

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Nikita Barclay, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Nikita Barclay

Nikita Barclay New Member

Ok so I had my whole house plastered it all cracked within days the plasterer was bad at his job! Nightmare! Got 2 new blokes in and they redone 2 rooms for now and it looked great one week on I've painted one room still another coat to go till finished and noticed all the original cracks from the first plasterer has come through on the new plaster could cry. What can I do??

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Should have used a knowledgeable decorator who could had advised you to line the walls with WallRock Fibreliner 180 plus, Google the product. Appears to be a constant problem on here after re-skimming work.

3. Nikita Barclay

I've lined the walls before painting

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The rooms redone was it a skim or complete replaster, if replaster, it will take several weeks for it to throughly dry before you can paint or line the walls.
    Also if the room is too warm when plaster drying, then it will crack, also some walls need priming with diluted pva due to the high suction rate of the wall before plastering.

5. Nikita Barclay

And what I was wanting to know is why has the original cracks come through from the first bad plastering job onto the second plastering job

6. Nikita Barclay

Completely replastered I use diluted emulsion like told in the shop and by plasterer. Plasterer told me to wait 48 hours before starting I waited 5 days just to be sure didn't have heating on and when started to put it back on had it on a low heat like advised

7. Nikita Barclay

And yes sorry he said he pvad it again

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Begs the question why did you line a newly plastered wall, the fibre liner I mentioned was an alternative to skimming not after.

9. Nikita Barclay

Sorry I don't understand

10. Nikita Barclay

Maybe I used the wrong words I got told to use watered down emulsion before painting

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You said 'you lined the walls before painting' :confused:

12. Nikita Barclay

What I meant was I used watered down emulsion I'm not good with all of this

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Plaster will crack or "blow" for a number of reasons from the walls moving, poor preparation, temperature even using out of date products

Can you put some pictures up of the cracked plaster ?

Astramax and KIAB like this.
  14. Nikita Barclay

Attached Files:

15. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

is it a plasterboard wall/dot and dabbed?

16. Nikita Barclay

Umm it wasn't new plasterboard the walls were a bit of a mess before it got plastered

17. leesparkykent

I wonder if the wall is plasterboard and scrim tape hasn't been used on the joints before being plastered and the cracks are where the joins are?

18. Nikita Barclay

That's the thing tape has been used and yes most of them are on the joins it's a nightmare they said they are going to come back out to sort them I think they said they will open cracks up a bit and fill them but the cracks seem to have a mind of their own and going off everywhere and wondering if this will even work

19. leesparkykent

If dot and dabbed maybe they haven't been stuck properly and are flexing and if screwed to studs maybe enough screws haven't been used.

20. Nikita Barclay

No screw
    No screws have been used I know that much