Plaster has cracked again

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Nikita Barclay, Apr 2, 2017.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Well there is some good and bad news, it is really easy to fix by putting in some fixings, cleaning out the joints and re-taping them. The bad news is that both plasters should have noticed it, fixed the problem and charged you a lot less

2. Nikita Barclay

Nikita Barclay New Member

That would be a big job now though won't it what with it being painted already and about 4 layers of plaster this is costing me a fortune

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Should not cost you as it wasn't corrected in the first place. 1st plasterer should have seen this and the second plasterer should have known that a problem still existed.

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

It it a ceiling? Is the crack running along a joist? The way I fix cracks is as follows.. If loft above.. I dot and dab 3inch strips of plasterboard to joints from above in loft. That's stops crack coming back. If on a joist I run no nails down each side of wood joist and put a strap across... Some Wood... Put across a few joists and fix with screws. That works to.. If a lounge and crack is on a joist. Put 8mm holes along even 10cm and blast with a bit of expanding foam, as this packs/fills and sticks board to joist.. Sorted 100s of ceilings over years doing the above.. If you gently make crack bigger without getting to deep and fill with a little Toupret. Sand and paint it will be gone for good.. Fingers crossed

5. Nikita Barclay

It's on ceiling and walls

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It is a simple DIY job. all thats needed is to put in some screw fixings which goes through the plasterboard into the wall and then afterwards fill the holes with some Polyfilla type product. The joint is slightly harder to fix but easily achievable

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Plasterboard walls? Block wall behind? If so then drill a few holes and blast expanding foam along crack. B&Q were selling for £2 a tin. Wall won't move and problem solved

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Screw along crack only if timber behind. You need something to screw board against. If no timber behind but there is block work use foam.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Quite a simple and basic job for a DIY female then Wayners! She can watch the expanding foam push the plasterboard off the wall at the same time.

10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Maybe.. Just trying to help. How I do it.. Quick 3 second blast and move on...

11. Nikita Barclay

Arggghhh now a crack has appeared in the other room on ceiling exactly same place as original crack again

12. Working On It

Working On It Member

Call them back and let them deal with it...

Nikita Barclay likes this.
  13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

For heaven's sake. Looks like they used 'paper' instead of scrim tape.

14. Doesn't really matter how it was done, or what was used.

The final result is what matters?

Keep calling the plasterers back in until its sorted.

Odd cracks when drying are 1 thing. Joints opening up are another matter

Working On It and Nikita Barclay like this.
  15. Nikita Barclay

They said they are defo going to come back this week and sort it but I'm just worried incase cracks keep appearing before its a write off again it's been a nightmare living out of one bedroom and now still can't move kids in their room for another couple of weeks

16. I wonder what happened with these walls?

Nikita?

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

We will never know apparently she disappeared through a crack in the floor while looking at the ceiling!.